•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using my EQ in ALT/AZ??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

Questions don't come dumber than this one... please read on.

My experience with EQ's was limited to the EQ-2 that came with my refractor. I just took delivery of my Celestron AVX and I am itchin' to get it outside and play.

Anyone who says that the dumbest questions are the ones not asked has never met me! So here goes...

If I want to use my mount in a normal alt/az way, still obviously use my hand control for up/down & left/right functions, how would I do it?

I know that many of these computerized/motorized mounts have such a function. I have read all through the manual and have found nothing. I have also punched around on the hand control and cannot find such a function.

Has anyone done this? I would like to do some solar as well as terrestrial tomorrow if the weather holds.

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

Looks like you're out of luck. The latitude adjustment range is 7 to 77 degrees so you can't get it to alt-az.

#3 steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

Hmmm. Okay. Guess I will stick with my GNG set up for such viewing.

#4 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

If your balancing will allow it, you could adjust the tripod legs so that that the 77 degree altitude becomes 90. I suspect that you'll need to have one leg pointing South to prevent the mount from tipping over. With one leg S, you'll need to have it a bit shorter than the other two.

Phil

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics