• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

Questions don't come dumber than this one... please read on.

My experience with EQ's was limited to the EQ-2 that came with my refractor. I just took delivery of my Celestron AVX and I am itchin' to get it outside and play.

Anyone who says that the dumbest questions are the ones not asked has never met me! So here goes...

If I want to use my mount in a normal alt/az way, still obviously use my hand control for up/down & left/right functions, how would I do it?

I know that many of these computerized/motorized mounts have such a function. I have read all through the manual and have found nothing. I have also punched around on the hand control and cannot find such a function.

Has anyone done this? I would like to do some solar as well as terrestrial tomorrow if the weather holds.

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

Looks like you're out of luck. The latitude adjustment range is 7 to 77 degrees so you can't get it to alt-az.

#3 steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

Hmmm. Okay. Guess I will stick with my GNG set up for such viewing.

#4 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

If your balancing will allow it, you could adjust the tripod legs so that that the 77 degree altitude becomes 90. I suspect that you'll need to have one leg pointing South to prevent the mount from tipping over. With one leg S, you'll need to have it a bit shorter than the other two.

Phil

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics