• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jblaschke

jblaschke

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: New Braunfels, Texas

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

The Wife surprised me with an Atlas mount for our anniversary. YAY! But when I tried to attach my 6" Meade 645 Newt, I discovered the screws on the OEM tube rings (circa 1978) were way too big to fit the Atlas' dovetail plate.

Okay, so I ordered a pair of Orion's 6" Newt tube rings. They come in today, and the rings themselves are too small for my OTA. They're listed as having a 182mm diameter, and my scope's diameter looks like it's 187mm. Arrgh! I didn't even think that might be an issue. :foreheadslap:

So, can anyone offer me any advice on my next move? Does anyone sell affordable tube rings that will fit my scope, or should I try to drill out the Atlas' dovetail plate to make the old rings fit? I'm really ticked that I can't try out the new mount...

#2 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

The Atlas dovetail is aluminum and easily machined. Drill a hole and tap it out for the mounting screws on your old rings. Another alternative, if the screws on your rings are long enough you can drill holes to pass them through and put nuts on the end of the screws. A third option is to replace the screws with ones that fit the threaded holes in the dovetail. A final alternative is to return the rings to Orion and get the next larger size.

Try taking the parts to a local hardware store with a good selection of flat box packages of individual nuts and bolts and ask them for assistance. Don't do this at a Lowes or Home Depot, their stock of this stuff will rarely have what you need.

Phil

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics