• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#26 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:42 AM

Hi Asteron,

You will need a capture card. These are very inexpensive USB 2,0 devices. On amazon you can buy one for as little as $25...

However, with the remote or rear camera buttons you can also just use a small LCD or old TV to display the camera output without the need for a laptop.

Al

#27 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ISRAEL

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

Post deleted by ASTERON

#28 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

Your questions are common to virtually all astronomy oriented video cameras ... and there's a ton of good info already in the various threads in the Video and Electronically Assisted forum. It would probably be more appropriate to open a new discussion there rather than taking Matt's new vendor announcement thread down a rabbit hole.

#29 mattflastro

mattflastro

Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

• -----
  • Loc: Brevard County , FL

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

I have another question, are the cameras you will be offering video output only ?
If I read you correctly, the output from the camera will be a video output that will be fed to a Video monitor supplied by the customer.
So the computer connection is just for controlling the camera operation and there is no bidirectional connection between the camera and the computer that will be able to display the video output on the computer (or Laptop) which is controlling the camera operation ?
In such a case, the customer will have to have some kind of video display device or monitor to display the captured integrated frames, or alternatively, some video capture card or device installed on the computer and capable of capturing the video signal from the camera and displaying it on the computer/laptop screen ?

As I am not familiar with the output from the LN 300 or other cameras which you may be offereing , please let us know what configurations will work with the modded camera/controller that you will be offering, and what type (if any) of additional equipment will be needed in order to make a complete, working system live astro-video system capable of displaying the video output.
Many Thanks

The Ln300 or Ln320 modifications have composite video output on a BNC connector . This can be connected directly to any TV , monitor or video recording or capture device that has a composite video in .
In essence the RS485 handbox is used for control , either by hand or from PC , and the video path is independent of the control.
This allows maximum flexibility and simplicity in use. If you want a simple setup with no PC, you just connect the camera to your monitor and use the handbox remote .
If you want to capture the video on your PC , enhance it live with VirtualDub like the Mallincam people do , you may also do that .

The TEC Cooled Cam has a more complex handbox which includes several video output connections ( composite video , s-video , VGA and HDMI up to 1080p ) . The camera has only one cable , from handbox to camera. This carries control, power and video in a single CAT5 cable . More details will be posted soon on the website.
Thanks,

#30 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

I updated the website http://www.astro-video.com to reflect availability of complete , turn-key setups of the NO AMP-GLOW Low Power Camera and the NO AMP-GLOW Advanced Camera .
Both setups ship complete with :
- modified camera ,
- handbox remote,
- camera to remote cable,
- RS485 dongle for your computer,
- 1.25" C-mount nosepiece adapter
- C-mount 5mm spacer ring
- twin power plus video cable
- 12V power adapter
- user manual
- 1 year warranty
I will post this as a new thread to reflect the new availabilities.

Attached Files

#31 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

UPDATE:
I added a Trade-in option for owners of Astro-Video Systems cameras , which allows used cams to be traded in for up to 70% of new price .
I also added a REFURBISHED option for purchasing the traded-in cams after they have undergone a full refurbishment and testing to bring them back to as new specifications . The refurbished units will be sold for not more than 80% of new price and will carry a full one year warranty the same as new units.

#32 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

Matt-

I realize you are likely swamped... But it would be interesting if you could snap a capture of a large object like M51 with the four current offerings you have -

so...

1. Low Power
2. Advanced
3. Low power w/ F1.8x
4. Advanced w/ F1.8x

Given that you are in Florida, it would be good to see the impact of the cooling mod on the cameras using the max integration in each picture (17s).

I know its asking a lot, so no rush but I think it would help many of us make a decision on possibly purchasing your cameras and deciding among the options...

Thanks
Al

#33 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

Al,

I asked for images at the beginning of the thread.......I wonder why it's taking so long?

#34 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

Al,

I asked for images at the beginning of the thread.......I wonder why it's taking so long?

There's no doubt a conspiracy going on .
That, or just have some courtesy and ask back AFTER you check the weather in Florida . Plenty of weather websites .
I understand you and your friends don't like me due to our earlier many arguments regarding your favorite vendor .
I hope you won't cross the fine line you're treading into more negative territory.

#35 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:32 AM

Matt,
This is turning out to be very interesting! You're proceeding at a pretty good clip in your development cycle. Responsiveness to feedback and suggestions is an encouraging sign. If I were more local I would offer to undertake testing.

I wish you every success!

#36 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ISRAEL

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:46 AM

Could everyone here relax a little bit ?
Give Matt a break.
Did Anyone here ever try to build up a company from scratch while ordering parts, doing R&D, building a new website, dealing with IP problems, and at the same time trying to respond to everyone here with a less then one day reaction time ?
Everybody is Demanding (?) photos and optical designs ?
What the H***K ? I understand the excitement but not the demands !
He is just human (one Human, at that).
I personally take this posting as a teaser to give all of us a preview of a very interesting, dogma breaking, venture.
While being very very interested in the upcoming products and ideas, I don't feel I have a right to demand anything.
If it takes more time, then it takes more time.
In the end we will all see what the results are ( or are not, if you wish to be negative about it). So have patience my dear fellows.

Someone here is trying to do things that nobody else will do or cares about doing. IMHO we should give Matt all the slack in the world just to encourage this budding thing which may benefit us all in the end.

As for now, all I wish to do presently is sit quietly and let the guy work without any distractions and demands. I trust the second he will have something to post here he will do so.
So let us all wish Matt great success. I, for one, know (and publicly said) I am interested and I will patiently wait until he will have more data or anounces he is ready to roll on with finished products (with proven specs).

Rome wasn't built in one day :rainbow:

#37 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

Matt,

Just wanted to let you know that I passed on your website to a few friends from our astronomy club. I hope you get some business.

I wish you the best of luck!

#38 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

I wanted to say thank you to everybody who helped with suggestions, ideas, moral support and spreading the word .

#39 nighty

nighty

Messenger

• Loc: 75w39n

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:04 AM

I am going to send Matt a SCB-2000 for the low power mod. He was quick to respond to my emails and I look forward to doing business with him. Plus I had the camera sitting waiting for me to work on it. (I bought two). :jump:

Terry

#40 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

Just added to website the RS485 camera control accessories for both the Advanced System and the Low-Power System :

Low-Power Cam System

Advanced Cam System

#41 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

Hey Matt!
Congrats, and good luck with the new venture!

I may have to come by sometime and see what you have going on! ;)
Where in Brevard are you?(I am in Palm Bay/West Melbourne)

btw, FWIW, offering "Pre-Modified Cameras" has been one of my best services..
People like having the option of ordering everything, at one time, from one person..especially people from an international location..
I have shipped to dozens of countries all over the world, and never had an issue (knock on wood!).

Obviously modifications is a major part of business too, but pre-modified is a great product/service that is very well received, IMHO. I am willing to bet you will see a lot of business in both services/products! And I am very glad and excited to see you offer these services and products! :applause:

I think you have your head on straight, and will give this market some much needed attention! :waytogo:

Cheers,
Brent

#42 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

Hey Matt!
Congrats, and good luck with the new venture!

I may have to come by sometime and see what you have going on! ;)
Where in Brevard are you?(I am in Palm Bay/West Melbourne)

btw, FWIW, offering "Pre-Modified Cameras" has been one of my best services..
People like having the option of ordering everything, at one time, from one person..especially people from an international location..
I have shipped to dozens of countries all over the world, and never had an issue (knock on wood!).

Obviously modifications is a major part of business too, but pre-modified is a great product/service that is very well received, IMHO. I am willing to bet you will see a lot of business in both services/products! And I am very glad and excited to see you offer these services and products! :applause:

I think you have your head on straight, and will give this market some much needed attention! :waytogo:

Cheers,
Brent

Hi Brent,
Actually I got the idea with these video cams seeing what you do with the DSLR's . I'd like to meet you too , maybe some of the Peltier parts and subassemblies could be done/made/designed/ordered jointly

#43 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

Great idea!
And would be more cost effective.. :)

Feel free to hit me up any time..
321-720-8222
DSLR_HyperCams@yahoo.com

Sorry, didnt mean to derail your thread :o
Back to your regularly scheduled program :grin:

Again, good luck with the new venture!

#44 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:11 AM

- I do not want to become yet another reseller for some Chinese products. That's why I want to offer my modification services, much like the DSLR guys are doing (Gary Honis, Brent , etc ).
The electronic boards I designed are all made locally (bare PCB made locally and SMD components stuffed locally ). Parts for these boards are bought thru US based distributors , AFAIK .

Thanks for the info, frankly with most everything, I really don't care for the country of origin - more so the tech stuff - it's the reality of today's world, and it has worked out okay in pooling together the best available resources (imho).

Just to clarify again, as far as I can tell, Gary Honis and the dSLR guys are in a way "yet another reseller" - when they 'buy' premade-dSLR (made in China, the guys don't make the camera), modify them, then sell them (okay, I have it a little backwards there, they don't buy the cameras, owners wanting the mod send their cameras in to be modded by them - but you get the point :grin:). In fact they are even open about the mods they make and post step-by-step instructions for those who might want to consider doing it themselves.

At any rate, just one last clarification again - you current services for camera mods are for existing cameras that you don't manufacture, however the upcoming "Peltier Cooled 960H Resolution ExviewHad II Video Camera Mod" is a completely new camera designed and manufactured by Astro-Video Systems? (the 'Mod' in the title leads me to believe that it's a mod of an existing camera already in the market, and not a exclusive design/build).

Thanks much again for providing the sorely needed services, and all the best in your endeavors!

#45 mattflastro

mattflastro

• -----

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

- I do not want to become yet another reseller for some Chinese products. That's why I want to offer my modification services, much like the DSLR guys are doing (Gary Honis, Brent , etc ).
The electronic boards I designed are all made locally (bare PCB made locally and SMD components stuffed locally ). Parts for these boards are bought thru US based distributors , AFAIK .

Thanks for the info, frankly with most everything, I really don't care for the country of origin - more so the tech stuff - it's the reality of today's world, and it has worked out okay in pooling together the best available resources (imho).

Just to clarify again, as far as I can tell, Gary Honis and the dSLR guys are in a way "yet another reseller" - when they 'buy' premade-dSLR (made in China, the guys don't make the camera), modify them, then sell them (okay, I have it a little backwards there, they don't buy the cameras, owners wanting the mod send their cameras in to be modded by them - but you get the point :grin:). In fact they are even open about the mods they make and post step-by-step instructions for those who might want to consider doing it themselves.

At any rate, just one last clarification again - you current services for camera mods are for existing cameras that you don't manufacture, however the upcoming "Peltier Cooled 960H Resolution ExviewHad II Video Camera Mod" is a completely new camera designed and manufactured by Astro-Video Systems? (the 'Mod' in the title leads me to believe that it's a mod of an existing camera already in the market, and not a exclusive design/build).

Thanks much again for providing the sorely needed services, and all the best in your endeavors!

You are absolutely correct, in today's world nobody makes everything from scratch. I definitely am not going to the beach and load some sand then go home, melt it into silicon wafers, then produce CCD's and DSP's , PCB's and aluminum extrusions. Even the development tools for the software are already made by the processor manufacurers , there are reference designs for the cameras serving as starting points, there are Peltier manufacturers that allow customisation of their product even for very low volume production , there are enclosure manufacturers who would again customize the enclosures based on client drawings ,etc . Then there are some subassemblies that one could never make and be cost effective, such as ready made cables , some power supplies , flash memory programmers etc. What I am doing is of course what everybody else is, sourcing parts and subassemblies from various sources when that fits my design goals the best and integrating them with proprietary software and hardware. The result is a new product that no other vendor has for sale . The TEC camera is not based on any complete camera sold by any other vendor or maker . It has in it parts and subassemblies coming from avrious vendors but it's the same as a Ford or a Porsche having both Michelin tires , that doesn't make them Michelin cars, or having an Edelbrock intake manifold doesn't make your car an Edelbrock .

#46 Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan

Lagopus lagopus

• Loc: Arctic

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

Any updates on it?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics