CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pier on top of concrete storm shelter

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wes

wes

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

Any thoughts on placing a pier for telescope mount on top of concrete storm shelter that is placed about 6 feet into the ground, I am thinking about doing that.

Thanks
Wes Higgins

#2 lal_webname

lal_webname

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

My first thought was to make sure you can still get into the shelter easily when you have a full astro setup on your proposed pier. You never know.

#3 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:53 AM

Looking at the damage from this last week...I would think you would be OK >PROVIDED< the pier was not bolted or anyway attached to the shelter except gravity.

However, if it were attached, the high winds of a Tornado would likely compromise the integrity of the shelter, and failure could be catastrophic, such as rip a huge hole in the roof.

But then, what is the probability of a Tornado hitting some parts of Oklahoma in the Spring? :p

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics