Photo

What happened to the Orion Eon series?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DrGolds

DrGolds

Mariner 2

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

Sorry if this is an old topic, but I have been out of the astronomy hobby for a few years (twins take a lot of time and I don't mean doubles you split with your telescope!).

I remember looking at the Orion Eon 120mm a few years back but now I see that Orion doesn't offer any Eon scopes at all. What happened to them?

On a somewhat related note, I am frustrated by Astronomics' lack of a glass supplier and am looking for alternatives to the AT111/130 that may never be produced.

#2 maknewtnut

maknewtnut

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

Manufacturers in China tend to control supply, not their Western rebranders. The EON series is a perfect example of that. This line sold well and earned a solid reputation, but....discontinued? Makes no sense at all if you're thinking Orion of California. If you're thinking Chinese mfgr's making a certain sized run of given lens until moving on to the next project, it makes perfect sense (and why rebrander's product offerings change so frequently).

#3 DrGolds

DrGolds

Mariner 2

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:53 AM

Well that's rather annoying... Is the 'new' Eon 120 the ES127? I saw some comparisons of those two scopes from a couple of years back.

It's not that I had my heart set on the Eon 120, but there sure aren't a lot of options left (at reasonable prices) since Astrotech has everything on wait-list!

#4 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:28 AM

Astronomics has the Skywatcher Pro 120ED in stock, exact same optics as the EON and a better value as it includes a diagonal, finder, eyepieces......

#5 Illinois

Illinois

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

I noticed that and Orion don't have many refractors that I am thinking about to buy a large refractor (at least 127mm and longer than f7.5) but so far not many out there so I will wait! Orion 150mm ED f9 with Moonlite focuser would be nice for me!

#6 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

The Eon is a very different scope than the ES 127. Not saying performance or reviews are that different, but the design is quite different (weight, number of lenses, rotating focuser, etc.). The skywatcher pro is the closest thing now. Same optics, more accessories, but fewer features.

I suspect the issue is cost. When these scopes, and the astrotech models and ES models came out, people got used to being able to get a 5" or so apo for close to $1500. Then the tsunami happened and drove up the cost of that premium Japanese glass and dealers could no longer make a profit at those price points. That's my theory anyway.

If you want that 6" ED scope, APM has a doublet that you can buy through OPT for about $4k. That is one thing that hasn't changed in the last few years. ED glass still gets exponentially more expensive as you increase aperture!

#7 DrGolds

DrGolds

Mariner 2

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:01 PM

I was thinking about a triplet for better color correction for AP. I am just disappointed at the lack of options that are in stock anywhere :/ A while back I was certain the AT111 was the scope I wanted as it seemed to have good bang-for-the-buck, but that's out of stock as is the AT130.

#8 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

Orion does not make telescopes [or anything else]
They buy them from manufacturers in China who will put any name brand on them that is requested.
I believe this is the same scope as the Orion Eon.
http://www.skywatche...s1=1&class2=101 and is still available from Skywatcher in Canada, and Europe.

#9 Illinois

Illinois

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

The Eon is a very different scope than the ES 127. Not saying performance or reviews are that different, but the design is quite different (weight, number of lenses, rotating focuser, etc.). The skywatcher pro is the closest thing now. Same optics, more accessories, but fewer features.

I suspect the issue is cost. When these scopes, and the astrotech models and ES models came out, people got used to being able to get a 5" or so apo for close to $1500. Then the tsunami happened and drove up the cost of that premium Japanese glass and dealers could no longer make a profit at those price points. That's my theory anyway.

If you want that 6" ED scope, APM has a doublet that you can buy through OPT for about $4k. That is one thing that hasn't changed in the last few years. ED glass still gets exponentially more expensive as you increase aperture!

I plan to buy a nice big refractor around $6000 and I can wait until I see if I really like then buy it. Sell 80 and 100 mm refractor at reasonable price!

#10 cliffy54

cliffy54

Viking 1

• Loc: ma

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

I wonder why they don't list what the lens material is ?????. :question:

#11 piaras

piaras

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Niagara Region

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

I have a Sky Watcher Black Diamond 120 coming, and hope that the next couple weekends will be good for viewing. Per another topic here in this refractor forum compared the Orion Eon 120 to the this scope, they use the same glass and this also infers that the Equinox has the same glass as well. If this is so, then the only differences between the three is the way they are fitted out.

Looking at the Orion site they are just about empty on any refractor at this time. Possibly they are lower on the supply chain then some of the others.
Pierre

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

Astronomics has the Skywatcher Pro 120ED in stock, exact same optics as the EON and a better value as it includes a diagonal, finder, eyepieces......

The Eon 120mm used the optics from the ED-120. But if I remember correctly, the 80mm Eon was quite different from the Synta/Skywatcher scopes...

Jon

#13 KWB

KWB

Hubble

• Loc: Westminster,Co Elev.5400 feet

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

The Eon 120mm used the optics from the ED-120. But if I remember correctly, the 80mm Eon was quite different from the Synta/Skywatcher scopes...

Jon

That's my recollection as well,Jon. It caught my eye as a little bit smaller telescope being different. A focal ratio of F/6.25 IIRC, a sliding dewshield,a dual speed crayford focuser,a very nice looking little black telescope. Color correction probably less than than the traditional Synta ED-80 but a little scope I could have found very useful in the low power,widefield viewing mode in which I'm often found doing just that.
:ubetcha:

#14 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

Jon

The EON 120mm and the Skywatcher Pro 120mm "appear" to be the same optics. Both use FPL-53 with Schott mating glass with the same f ratio and lens cell machining and assembly. The rest of the OTA is different construction than the EON.

As far as the 80mm EON versus the Skywatcher, I wasn't referring to that scope since the OP asked about the 120mm version. I have an EON 80mm.....it is not the same as the 80mm Skywatcher Pro.

#15 Zamboni

Zamboni

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

I'm fairly certain that the Eons, while using Synta optics, were assembled with focusers and an extending dew shield sourced from Long Perng. Not 100% certain, but that focuser seemed awfully similar to those on the AstroTech refractors. Far nicer than the stock Synta focuser. Not a feathertouch, but close enough for rock-and-roll.

#16 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

You can get a superior iteration of the same optic from Telescope Service in Germany.

http://www.teleskop-...S-120-900mm-...

As an American you don't pay the VAT, but you do pay the shipping from Germany. Reduce the price shown in Euros by 19% and then do the Euro-Dollar conversion.

This scope includes the same "Synta" 120mm f/7.5 ED optics as the Sky-Watcher Equinox/Orion EON in a similar Long Perng tube assembly with a slightly more robust focuser. The last time I did the conversion math it was something like $1800 plus shipping.

You can also get the same optics in a not-as-nice tube assembly from Sky-Watcher (in the guise of the Sky-Watche Pro 120ED). I think it runs about $750 or $800, though it's been awhile since I looked at that model.

Regards,

Jim

#17 piaras

piaras

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Niagara Region

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

The Sky Watcher Black Diamond/Pro 120ED Doublet is $1500 average price depending on the dealer.

The Quantum/Esprit Triplet line is basically double that and more.
Pierre

#18 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

Ouch. I'd definitely get the Telescope Service/Long Perng version for $1800 then. No comparison IMO.

- Jim

#19 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

Unfortunately the international shipping and customs fee and foreign exchange fee will amount to hundreds of dollars.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics