•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Entry level Goto

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 REC

REC

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

Hi, I looking at putting my C80ED on a inexpensive Goto mount. Currently using it on a EQ2 and although it works well for a grab n go, I still have problems finding dimmer DSO's in my Red zone. I thought I would try in on a Meade 2000 or maybe the Celestron SLT. I think both of them do a basic 2 star alignment. The Meade can be used as a manual AZ mount for just point n go.

Anyone using a similar scope and mount out there and how do you like it?

Thanks,

Bob

#2 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Vanguard

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

I used my Orion 80ED refractor on a Celestron SLT mount for a number of years. It worked great ... very easy to setup and align ... with very accurate GOTO's. One of the features I really like is the "Quick Align" mode. Just level the OTA, point it North and the it's ready to go ... very convenient for solar observing.

After I sold the 80ED, I put a 70mm. refractor on it for a quick grab-n go solar scope (white light and H-alpha). I also replaced the flimsy aluminum tripod with a heavy duty surveyor's tripod and made up a simple wooden wedge.

Overall, I've found the SLT mount to be very easy to use, reliable, accurate, light weight and a great way to put together an inexpensive grab-n-go system.

Attached Files

#3 REC

REC

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

Interesting set-up! Why the wedge if no AP is being done? Looks pretty good solution though.

Thanks for the pic!

Bob

#4 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Vanguard

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

The SLT mount does have an Equatorial mode and I was curious to see how well it worked. It does seem to have better GOTO accuracy and better tracking near the zenith ... however, I usually find it easier to just use the mount in the Alt-Az mode on the original tripod.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics