Ambient Statistics temperature/humidity/barometer

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mendon, MA

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

I wanted to set up a couple of stations that take the stats liisted in the title. I would deploy one each in several places on the property: warm room, observation room, outside observatory locale, and the final one, still on the property, but on the other side of my house; mostly for humidity measurement, the observatory is next to an inground pool.

What are you all using?

#2 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

I have some Rad Shack transmitters (Oregon Scientific) but they only provide Temp and Hum.

On the Barometer. Wouldn't the pressure be rather constant for 10s of acres? So then you would only need a base station with that feature.

FWIW, I've toyed with buying a full weather station (add in wind speed/direction and rainfall a few times...and then bought other toys.

#3 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

yes, I wasn't thinking on Barometer :-) too busy today!

A full weather station is beyond my interests as well. I just need something to tell if the observatory has cooled and the potential for dew. Predicting when I should close the roof could be done the old fashioned way; look it up in the paper :-)

#4 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

:) So you're also a geek :)

Something I found really cool for night time cloud detection is a "Dome Camera". Point it up and some of these will see to 5-6 mag with a 3MM Lens. As I'm more Orange zone (sadly) wispy clouds are visible, and when the Stars start blinking, good time to close up. As the unit is "Weather resistant" you just leave it set up. 12V power and an analog video feed is all it takes.

Going further into geekdom, I have a TV tuner in the Obs computer with an analog connection the camera feeds into. Avermedia G2 is a good tuner kit for this.

EDIT: Googled around and saw the G2 is hard to find at circa $80 pricepoint. Another tuner card (with Analog input)that I have used is the Hauppauge 2250.

After that you're looking at multi input DVR cards

#5 OJS

OJS

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

I was thinking of getting something like this for my observatory:

http://www.ambientwe...mws07x2kit.html

You can get as many sensors as you want. Unfortunately, most seem to be out of stock right now.

OJS

#6 Calypte

Calypte

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Anza, California

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

There's an actual reporting weather station on my property: www.weathercurrents.com/anza/. However, for the observatory I bought a Weatherwise "Semi-Pro Weather Station." In addition to inside & outside temps etc., it has sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset times. My area is usually dry, and my elevation is almost 4000 ft, but certain conditions can cause the "marine layer" (familiar to southern Californians) to deepen dramatically and quickly, sending the relative humidity high enough to cause dewing or even fog. The weather station helps to keep track of RH. More useful would be knowing the dewpoint, which the reporting weather station has, but my observatory computer isn't connected to the Internet.

#7 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

I'm using a Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus with a 24/7 fan aspirated radiation shield. It reports to both a weather console and a separate Weather Envoy with a data logger that logs serial data via a serial to USB cable (more reliable than a USB data logger) to an instance of Meteohub running in a virtual machine on an ESXi host. Meteohub then forwards the data on to about eight other weather networks some of which re-forward the data to yet more weather networks.

#8 Calypte

Calypte

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

I'm using a Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus with a 24/7 fan aspirated radiation shield. It reports to both a weather console and a separate Weather Envoy with a data logger that logs serial data via a serial to USB cable (more reliable than a USB data logger) to an instance of Meteohub running in a virtual machine on an ESXi host. Meteohub then forwards the data on to about eight other weather networks some of which re-forward the data to yet more weather networks.

Our equipment is owned by WeatherCurrents, although I invited them to install the station when we moved here. The equipment is all Peet Bros, plus a custom-built computer to store the readings in case my ISP goes down or there's a power outage. In addition to the WeatherCurrents website, I've also found our data on a site called Mesonet West.

#9 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

You can make one from Arduinos and have them on your WIFI network.

#10 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:42 PM

Thanks Chris, at this point in my life I would ratherr buy something, although a networked solution has its advantages :-)

@tom and beth, I think nearly everyone on this board qualifies as a Geek! Especially those Model Train guys! Man! There are some wild collections out there :-)

@OJS, those Ambient Weather stations are the most attractive ones so far; big number, multiple senders/single station, inexpensive; looks good to me!
except it's blah... out of stock...time to shop around! Cool Amazon has a three sensor version. Nab!

Thanks ALL!

#11 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

Our equipment is owned by WeatherCurrents, although I invited them to install the station when we moved here.

That's way cool, a free weather station just for the asking. :D

I've also found our data on a site called Mesonet West.

They're incestuous. Or rather it all becomes public data and anyone can bulk feed from that trough. I certainly don't mind. The data I send to CWOP apparently also finds its way to NWS and Mesonet.

Anyone thinking of purchasing a weather station, don't pay MSRP or MAP. Ask for the dealers actual selling price. It'll be much lower and you'll save money.

#12 Calypte

Calypte

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

The owner of WeatherCurrents intentionally provides his data to Mesonet West. I was surprised when I saw it there, and I had to ask if Anza Southeast is our site (it is). But from the beginning I expected the data to be shared.

#13 my-spot

my-spot

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South East Michigan

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

I created an Arduino based weather station that runs via USB through my observatory's computer. I coded the Arduino for my sensors and a C# program to upload data to weatherunderground and weatherbug. I'll add CWOP uploads as soon as I find a clear tutorial on the upload protocol. It has been a great geek project for all those cloudy Michigan nights.

#14 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

Oh yeah, do it. Setting up a weather station was fun. Uh, almost more fun than doing amateur astronomy. It's certainly been way more practical from a family point of view. They now all go to weather underground just to see what's happening in the back yard!

#15 Lobo59

Lobo59

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:24 AM

Frank,

I'd love to hear and see how you did it with Arduino. I'm looking at an Arduino
board sitting on the table in front of me right now, waiting for parts and anxious to give it a go.

Larry

#16 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

I was thinking of getting something like this for my observatory:

http://www.ambientwe...mws07x2kit.html

I picked a set of these with three total remotes. nice big numbers ;-)

You can get as many sensors as you want. Unfortunately, most seem to be out of stock right now.

OJS

#17 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

I'd love to know how you made your weather station too.

#18 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:42 AM

Chris, I didn't make a weather station, just wanted to get the temps at varius places. Nothiing automated.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics