• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 mikeschuster

mikeschuster

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SF Bay area

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:09 AM

My Mach 1 (sold) did seem to have a slew under the mount quirk. Setup in Park 1 position, Resume Ref-Park 1, let the mount track a few minutes or so from this position, then slew. Often the slew was under the mount. I never did figure out why this was happening, but likely I was doing something wrong,
Mike

#27 bigj

bigj

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:37 AM

The native PE would be nice to see and photos with 10 minutes subs would be nice. I cannot wait to see them.

#28 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:52 AM

by the way, why does the mount hand controller have a "resume from park X" menu option? that seems a surefire way to get it confused - if it's at park 3 for instance and you tell it to resume from park 1 it's idea of the sky gets messed up.

seems like if it was in any park position the right thing to do is simply "resume from park", since the mount should know where it was parked.

#29 bigj

bigj

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:05 AM

I think AP is a good mount but technology is old, look at the controller its dated about 20 years

#30 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:23 AM

I always do park 3 and resume from park 3. That's the home position for CGEM's.

The native PE is well-known. Mine does about 6" p-p. After PEC training that drops to < 1" p-p.

I have numerous 10- and 20-minute guided subs. 20 minutes is too much for unguided with my not-so-good polar alignment (at 600mm).

The hand controller does seem a bit ancient, and the interface isn't so good compared to even the humble Nexstar. But it's vacuum fluorescent and doesn't dim in cold weather. And it's very beefy. The thing would outlast most contemporary electronics gear.

#31 bigj

bigj

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:11 AM

please give the raw data

#32 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

sure, i do park 3 and then just resume from park. it just seems like having specific "resume from park X" controls is really dangerous. i've done it once and a recal fixes everything but until then a goto could drive the scope into the pier.

the hand controller seems fine to me. i agree it is very robust. i don't care that much though because i drive the mount with ASCOM - wifiscope + SkySafari and AstroTortilla.

#33 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

Coming from a Takahashi mount I thought that the AP hand controller was a big improvement. What is a comparable mount that has a good hand controller? just curious....it doesn't really matter to me anyway as all I use is goto and meridian delay.

Andy

#34 JumboFlex

JumboFlex

Messenger

• -----

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

Not sure if i would call anything from AP "old" tech. The hand controller worked for me at below freezing temps, the "advanced" tech of an iphone wouldnt.

#35 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

I came from a Celestron CPC, and giving up the Celestron firmware was hard. I was very concerned with the "old" AP hand controller. Truth is, it's simpler but better.

And having more then one line of text gives you much more info. I actually learn the sky with it.

#36 turtledude1

turtledude1

Explorer 1

• Loc: SW Fla.& SW. NM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

I know just how you feel with your new Mach 1. Fedex just delivered my used but never got used AP 1200GTO this morning. It's going to take six months to wipe the grin off my face. This will be a huge improvement over my CGE Pro.

Russ

#37 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

The really weird thing about AP after using something like a Celestron is the alignment which "Just is". Turn it on, and it's aligned. I have been starting at Park 3, and then drive it to Park 1 and do initial alignment with a level. I then go to the first object. This was how I was able to see the M81 supernova a year ago- the sky was overcast except for that area. But I was able to get a compass bearing and get aligned with the level, and had it drive there blind. VoilĂ , the supernova was in the field of view.

I'd tend to say what you really need to do is THINK REAL HARD before using a Sync command.

The original Sky Safari sent Sync instead of RCAL when you pressed the "Align" button on the mount control. That was what I had done just before the collision. So, I talked to Tim at Southern Stars as well as AP, and now Sky Safari is fixed so it sends RCAL instead of Sync.

For Bigj, who apparently hasn't discovered Google:

http://www.cloudynig...3952049/page...

-Rich

#38 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

good one Rich.

You're right about the "just is" alignment... it does require that your polar alignment be well-nigh perfect. But it's nice that the AP GTO controller follows the principle of least astonishment. :D

#39 bigj

bigj

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:26 AM

Starhawh
Thanks for googal tip. I still would like raw see data from a new mount. The 8.4 arc second was nice but not to AP standard. I was hopping to see 6 arc secounds or better.

#40 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:32 AM

My Mach 1 celebrated its 4th birthday a few weeks ago and it's still the best investment I ever made in astronomy. :waytogo:

I don't know how anyone could regret switching from Celestron electronics to Astro-Physics. The circuit boards are better, the hand controller is much better, and the commands are easier to use. I start from Park 3, Goto a single star, Synch, and off I go. Keying in a database object or a set of RA/Dec coordinates couldn't be easier.

Six years ago, when I first got on the A-P waiting list, a friend told me that if I ever tried the A-P hand paddle I would never be happy going back to Celestron, Synta, or Gemini - mounts I had used previously. I have to agree that he was right. :)

Cheers,

Ron

#41 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:04 AM

My Mach 1 celebrated its 4th birthday a few weeks ago and it's still the best investment I ever made in astronomy. :waytogo:

Yeah, I'd say Ron has that just about right. I think our mounts must be from the same litter.

#42 FaronD

FaronD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:13 AM

I think AP is a good mount but technology is old, look at the controller its dated about 20 years

The AP HC is excellent! The actual AP HC is rugged, handles extreme low temps well, and has nice 4 line vacumn-fluorescent display. You must be referring to the software? Sure, it lacks some of the bells and whistles of the newer mounts. Actually, it only lacks in software for Polar Alignment. This is a nonissue since the new RAPAS arrived. The alignment now literally takes 2 minutes. Modelling, I don't need it with my setup. Simply Recal on a star and it's set to go.

I'm willing to bet most AP mount owners are imagers. The AP software works extremely well in that regard. The meridian delay is fanatastic! My Mach 1 is the easiest mount ever to operate, no muss no fuss.

Faron

#43 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

I re-trained the PEM on my Mach1 a few days ago. Mine is a 2009 model with the precision alt-az adapter, but I bought it used from the first owner.

This data is about 3 worm cycles for the fundamental, and after PEM. The only wrinkle is, data was captured with a finder-guider, so the pixel scale is very poor.

Raw PE (about 5" p-p) - according to Ray only the fundamental, 1st, and 2nd harmonics exist and can be corrected, so only those are checked:
Posted Image

After one round of PEM and two rounds of PEM refinement:
Posted Image

I used to get a better figure (0.42" p-p) but the above is what I'm getting now.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics