41 replies to this topic

#1 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

Hi all.
I'm wanting to get a bigger dob, 10 or 12" and while searching CL in my area I came across this listing. The price for this scope is $400 and is new, still wrapped and packed. Nexstar SE5 Although I do want a newer and bigger dob this deal looks to good to pass up, but I have no knowledge of these scopes or go-to scopes in general.
So what do you think ? Would this scope also be good/ok for afocal short exposure AP, or video imaging ?

#2 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

Price new is $629. Does it come with the warranty? If yes then it's well worth it. Without the warranty it's not a bad deal either. You will not get the resolution of a 10" dob, but for grab and go it can't be beat. Should be good for short exposures and fine for video imaging. Good luck with your decision.

#3 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

Thanks for the feedback on this. I know if it were the 6SE I would jump on it, but not sure about the 5SE. Doesn't say about a warranty but I doubt it. I want the 10" dob for DSO's, but man this 5SE is sooo tempting.
I know I would have to get a power pack down the road, but is there any major issue with these scopes I should know about. I have been reading this forum to learn a bit more and looking at what you all have and do with your SE's.

#4 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

When I started this hobby last year the SE orange tube scopes always caught my eye and I think they look so cool.
The seller has 6 of these so I have a bit of time to decide.

#5 Sorny

Sorny

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern MN

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

I like my NexStar 5se. It is a great grab-n-go scope. I can carry the scope in 1 hand, mounted on the tripod and ready to set down and align.

The eyepieces you list in your sig will work great with it. Auto-2 Star alignment is excellent, and the tracking is excellent; I left saturn in a 2x barlow'd 8mm eyepiece for several hours without having to re-center.

If you try to move an SE scope in azimuth without using the hand controller, you'll hose it up good and proper. Altitude can be moved without power, but not azimuth.

My only gripe is that the mount is not the most stable. I put a motofocus on my NexStar 5se so that it would not shake for 3 seconds every time I touch the focus knob. You'll need a power supply (jumpstart battery, power tank, something like that) for the scope. It'll drain the 8 AA batteries in about 3-4 hours. I'd recommend keeping batteries in the mount when you use it, just in case the power cord comes out on a slew or something so that you don't have to re-do alignment.

I suggest a dew shield for the scope as well. I haven't needed a heater for mine, but the shield is necessary for me, at least in MN.

#6 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

Sorny thanks for the info. Yeah the power tank will be another investment down the road if I do get this scope.
I know dark skies, good seeing and trans. are ideal but how does this scope fair on DSO's in say orange zones!

#7 frito

frito

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fremont, CA

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

Rob offer him 350 like we said in the other thread and then you can spend the other 50 on a cheapo jumpstart pack. if you have a harbor freight tools in your area these work great

http://www.harborfre...pply-38391.html

sometimes they go on sale for as cheap as 30 dollars too! :)

#8 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

Rob offer him 350 like we said in the other thread and then you can spend the other 50 on a cheapo jumpstart pack. if you have a harbor freight tools in your area these work great

http://www.harborfre...pply-38391.html

sometimes they go on sale for as cheap as 30 dollars too! :)

I have one HF next town over and another about a 20min drive. Does that one in the link have an outlet thingie to plug the scope into ? Sorry not familiar with this stuff so the tech terms I still have to learn.

I will be joining an astronomy club soon and will take this scope to the meetings/viewing sessions at some what dark skies....if I get this 5SE.

Guess I need some moral support to actually pull the trigger.

#9 frito

frito

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fremont, CA

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

its got a normal 12v cig lighter plug for output. most electronic scopes should come with a long cig lighter cord for plugging them into a car, if not one is easily made for cheap.

#10 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

I think for $400, you cannot go wrong on this scope.It appears everything is there so I would jump on it. This would make a great grab and go and GOTO to boot? I have a 8se nexstar and love it. You may find out, once you have it, you may not want to let it go because of its convenience. I do short exposure imaging with mine.

Attached Files

#11 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

its got a normal 12v cig lighter plug for output. most electronic scopes should come with a long cig lighter cord for plugging them into a car, if not one is easily made for cheap.

Thanks Dwayne, good to know.

#12 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

I think for $400, you cannot go wrong on this scope.It appears everything is there so I would jump on it. This would make a great grab and go and GOTO to boot? I have a 8se nexstar and love it. You may find out, once you have it, you may not want to let it go because of its convenience. I do short exposure imaging with mine.

I was thinking down the road using this with a webcam for live viewing hooked up to a PC or small TV. Then maybe a dslr for better images I could process.

#13 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

I took a web cam and turned it into an imaging cam using a 35mm film canister. I then was able to attach it to my laptop and was able to show more than one person at a time the views I was able to get of the venus transit and partial solar eclipse last year. I think you that you will have loads of fun with this new system. As long as you get a good alignment,2 star,you will have fun with the GOTO.

#14 Sorny

Sorny

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

Sorny thanks for the info. Yeah the power tank will be another investment down the road if I do get this scope.
I know dark skies, good seeing and trans. are ideal but how does this scope fair on DSO's in say orange zones!

It's a 5 inch scope.

I usually view in orange/yellow zone, and I can see enough to stay interested. GoTo is very nice for DSOs, especially if you do a precise goto, where it slews to a bright star and you align to that, then it slews to the target. Very handy.

My first glimpses of most Messier Objects were in the 5" scope. Faint fuzzies are faint and fuzzy in a 5" scope.

I have an 11" scope for a reason, and that reason is globular clusters. It is one thing to know that they're densely packed star clusters, and quite another thing to see that they are densely packed star clusters instead of just a hazy fuzzball.

#15 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

I'm not expecting better views than with a dob or other bigger scopes, but just needed to know if I could see galaxies as faint fuzzies, or not at all.
The goto is what I like about it and that I won't have to waste time searching and hopping when I don't have a lot of time. When I do have more time for viewing then the dob comes out.
I know it won't make much sense to have a 4", 5" and a 6" scope but like I said, I will eventually get a Z10. I'm still on the fence about the 5SE and won't pull the trigger until I am 100% on it. I sent the seller an email and will wait for a reply.

#16 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

OK silly question time. This is a 5" scope, but what are the actual dimensions as far as diameter and length ?? Just trying to visualize how big the scope is.

#17 Sorny

Sorny

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

OK silly question time. This is a 5" scope, but what are the actual dimensions as far as diameter and length ?? Just trying to visualize how big the scope is.

It's about the size of a coffee can. Not quite 6" diameter and maybe a foot long with a diagonal on there. The OTA weighs about 6 lbs.

#18 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

• Loc: North Charleston SC

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

I have never used a 5SE, but if it is anything like the 8SE, you will love it.

If you look at the top pic of the family holding various SE Orange OTAs, the girl is holding the 5SE model. It should give you an idea of size. Hope it helps.

Click Here

#19 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be getting the 5SE.

#20 mkothe

mkothe

Vostok 1

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

Did you get the seller to lower the price? Right now these are on sale for $630 instead of the $700 he mentions in the ad, so maybe he is willing to lower the price, especially since he has several to sell.

Michael

#21 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

Yes, $350.

#22 Lobot

Lobot

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

I've had a 5SE for about 6 months and I'm more than happy with it. It's a very good comprimise between cost/weight/performance & I've had alot of fun with it. It's very solidly built and gives the impression that it will last for years (apart from the standard red-dot which is a bit on the basic side). After a few sessions the Go-To is very straightforward to use & accurate if you take the time to set it up correctly.

I've been really impressed by the quality of the images I've taken with it (please bear in mind I'm a novice!), all taken with a EOS 550d, single exposures:

Moon: http://www.flickr.co...N03/8665208400/

Orion Nebula: http://www.flickr.co...N03/8438419963/

I hope this helps! Cheers, Robin :jump:

#23 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

wow those are some awesome images, especially Orion. I'd like to have this scope for when I don't feel like searching/hopping, when my back hurts too much for dob use and some basic images with the iphone and later webcam.
IF I don't get this scope then I will get a 10" dob..

#24 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

I love my 5SE for showing people the Moon and planets. It is very portable and perfect for outreach events. I also use it to quickly determine if the seeing is good enough for me to haul out and set up my bigger scope.

Here is an image I took with my 5SE using the NexImage 5 webcam.

Attached Files

#25 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

wow Steve. Awesome image os Saturn.
I am waiting on the seller to get back to me with when and where I can pick up the scope. I'll be going to harbor freight for a power pack, then will try and find a means to hook the scope to the power pack.
I won't have this scope in time for tonight's outreach, but maybe the next one.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics