Celestron CGEMDX or Losmandy G 11

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 telescopemullet

telescopemullet

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

I want to get a new, modern mount for my istar 150 f15. It weighs in at about 42 lbs. I use it for visual only. Of the two mounts above, is the latter the more robust? I would use the Hagraeves strut with both given the length of the scope. Any thoughts on which to purchase?

#2 GHarris

GHarris

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

I'm sure more knowledgeable people will chime in shortly, but in the meantime I think I should suggest that a 6 inch f15 refractor has a heck of a lot of moment arm. Almost regardless of total weight, a scope this long is hard to mount stably. You might need something a step above either of the two mounts you mentioned. On the other hand, what you consider acceptably steady is entirely subjective so maybe you'd be fine with this class of mount. And I may be entirely wrong anyway. I just know that for a 6" f/8 refractor many advise an EQ6 class mount instead of a HEQ5 (though some find the HEQ5 OK), and an f/15 is a LOT longer.

#3 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

Unfortunately, I definitely think you would be pushing it with a CGEM DX.

#4 Gord

Gord

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

Mullet,

It depends on your tolerance if you will find it sufficient. I believe either could work but neither will be good if you have wind and there will be shakes focusing (I would expect).

I have both and both are sitting on Losmandy HD tripods. The G11 is the more stable of the two. This is with the 6" F10, so that's close to 3' shorter. And to give you an idea, I find the G11 carries the C14 pretty much the same as the 6" F10, yet is more than 20 lbs heavier. The issue isn't the weight, but where the weight is.

The other issue is that the longer tube means you will need a pier extension as well, or just go with a pier on it's own like the Astro-Physics.

Clear skies,

#5 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

Hi,
I owned a CGEM DX and a G11 gemini 2. And I prefered the CGEM DX. It's not as critical when it comes to balance and it has the same tripod as the CGE PRO. The G11 is critical when it comes to balance and I didn't like building East and West models each night with the Gemini 2. I ended up giving up both mounts for a used CGE. Its very stable and has no problem with the weight. And balance is not as critical. I found one that was like new and I am very happy with it. I consider it a step above the other two mounts. Otherwise you might want to look at higher grade mounts like the CGE Pro or an AP mount.

neilson

#6 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

I second the CGE, it is the best mount I have ever owned...once you get past its 'quirks'..
But every mount has 'quirks', say for the REAL mounts like the AP/Tak/SB/ASA/etc mounts.. ;)

A 6" F/15 is quite a scope...I would not look at anything under a CGE/G11..just IMHO

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics