• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 idp

idp

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: New Haven, CT

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

Last night I observed Saturn from dusk to 10pm with the 10" Clark refractor at Bethany Observing Station, CT. Seeing was never oustanding, but the planet wavered rather than "boil" so it was still possible to catch some fine details. I used a 8mm plossl eyepiece which gives ca. 430x, it wasn't worth using more.

I think I had one of my best views ever of a polar region of Saturn (which is hardly surprising since the last time a polar region was suitably positioned, I could only use a 8" newton). The N half of the north polar band was clearly darker than the rest of the band; NPC's border had a darker edge too and looked "angular", but then I know there should be a hexagon there and seeing was not outstanding, so I may have been just wrong. I was not able to convince myself that it was a smooth ellipse though.

Overall, the planet looked very much like in chrisnuttal's May 25 drawing; I may have seen some finer details, but rendering is much poorer :( This is as good a sketch of Saturn as I can make it at the telescope I think, though it could have been much better with smoother paper (I used a template printed at the office on regular xerox paper).

Steady skies,

Ivano

Attached Files

#2 Aquarellia

Aquarellia

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Provence, France

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

Well done Ivano.
I like your real sketch look ! Your result about the rings details and the polar region is fantastic.

#3 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

Ivano,

Very good sketch of Saturn :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

Ivano,

That is a good looking planet in your sketch. Very nicely done.

Frank :)

#5 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

Ivano,
Very nice sketch with a good deal of detail. I especially like the detail on the polar caps.

Ken

#6 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

Beautiful work Ivano. I too was out last night but my seeing didn't improve till 11:30!!! Its wild a couple towns over you had such great seeing. I had Pickering 4 prior to that time so Pickering 6 was quite welcome. Amazing detail in the polar cap. I got hints of it. The a ring is normally two toned for as you show but again the soft seeing. But it was fun.

You are right copier paper is terrible!!!!!

Great high definition observation!

I'm jealous!

Pete

#7 JimPie

JimPie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.E.Michigan

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:24 PM

Excellent rendering,lots of nice details. Did you use any filters ?

#8 idp

idp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

No, no filters. I tried a yellow one, which did not change anything. Well the planet is basically yellowish after all. But looking at the color of the zone between the cap and the polar band, a green filter could enhanced its contrast. I should have tried it.

Pete, seeing was never great, just workable. I don't think it was much better than at your place, unless you have some local factors affecting it. It took a lot of patience, moving around the planet in the field, waiting for all the *BLEEP* I have in my eyes to move out of the way, etc...

Steady skies,

Ivano

#9 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

Great work!

#10 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:16 PM

Very fine sketch, thank you.

#11 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:05 AM

Ivano,

Yellow is a curious filter with Saturn. I've found Cassini actually pops better with it but alas the rings are white and grey. I think when it does help improve the global details its merely because its supressing some irradiation despite that its a yellow planet! Oddly, w80a did nothing and w15 was far better. I tried w8 light green-yellow but it did nothing and w21 orange dimmed it too much. My Mars filter which boosts red and yellow like nothing else dimmed Saturn too much and no extra detail was evident as a result.

My local seeing Is actually quite lousy still I perceiver. I'm truly impressed with your polar cap detail. I began to see hints and that was all.

Pete

#12 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

• Loc: York, England

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

Ivano

That does look a lot like the view I had.
We're all complaining about the seeing - Saturn is low down now compared to recent years, better get used to it:(

A yellow filter helps with seeing I have found, because it rejects the blue end of the spectrum.

I have also found a blue filter helps with the ring detail.

#13 idp

idp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

Ivano

A yellow filter helps with seeing I have found, because it rejects the blue end of the spectrum.

I have also found a blue filter helps with the ring detail.

True, I find the yellow filter really awesome on Mars, less on Saturn. I rarely find filters worth the loss of light on Saturn, but if you had a 12in you might be better off than me with them.

Much admired you pastel drawing by the way.

Ivano

#14 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

great sketch of saturn, very realistic

#15 Tamas Bognar

Tamas Bognar

Ranger 4

• -----