• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

Hi everyone. I'm getting the non HD version of the 9.25 with a CGEM mount. I have a few questions if you would be kind enough to indulge me with you time.

1) Would the 2" eyepiece kit from Celestron be compatable with my scope?
2) While not new to AP this will be the first time I will be using my camera, a Canon 550d (non mod) with a scope. What adapters will I need. I know of the T-ring, but the other I am not sure.

I am very excited and will of course post pictures when I get it. Thank you. :-)

#2 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

Hi everyone. I'm getting the non HD version of the 9.25 with a CGEM mount. I have a few questions if you would be kind enough to indulge me with you time.

1) Would the 2" eyepiece kit from Celestron be compatable with my scope?
2) While not new to AP this will be the first time I will be using my camera, a Canon 550d (non mod) with a scope. What adapters will I need. I know of the T-ring, but the other I am not sure.

I am very excited and will of course post pictures when I get it. Thank you. :-)

First off, for the 9.25" Celstron SCT, what you will need for 2" eyepieces is what is known as a "2-inch visual back". It screws on to the rear optical port of the telescope and allows 2" O.D. hardware to be used (2" star diagonals, camera adapters, etc.). I use one (from Astrophysics) on my NexStar 9.25GPS XLT, and it works decently. The Celestron 2" kit does come with a star diagonal that has that visual back section built-in to the diagonal, so unless you want to stick a camera straight on the back of the scope without using the diagonal, you should be ready to go for 2" eyepieces. However, if you *do* want the camera to go on directly to the back of the scope without using the star diagonal, then you will need either a visual-back camera adapter that screws directly onto the optical port of the scope (and also screws onto your T-ring), or a regular 2" visual back with a 2" camera adapter that goes into your T-ring. If you just want to stick the camera into the star diagonal, then you will only need the 2" camera adapter that goes into the camera's T-ring. You can even use a 2" Barlow ahead of the camera adapter in the star diagonal to get somewhat larger image scale. If you want to get a little more "fancy" and use eyepiece projection, then you will need a slightly different camera adapter that allows for an eyepiece to be placed inside. I have one from Orion, but it only allows for 1.25" barrel eyepieces (and not all 1.25" barrel eyepieces will go inside of it due to its limited size). You kind of have to play "mix and match" here (and be careful here, as not all adapters go with all 2" hardware or camera T-rings). This is where you have to describe in detail to your retailer what you have and what you want to do before you go ordering things. Good luck and clear skies to you.

#3 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

Thank you kindly for you response. hmmmm. Many things to consider.

Originally i thought of using the 2" kit for observing and a straight Tring + t adapter to do imaging. is there and adapter for the 2" eye piece on B&H?

#4 Geo.

Geo.

Gemini

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

First off, for the 9.25" Celstron SCT, what you will need for 2" eyepieces is what is known as a "2-inch visual back". It screws on to the rear optical port of the telescope and allows 2" O.D. hardware to be used (2" star diagonals, camera adapters, etc.).

Pretty sure the eyepiece kit comes with a 2" SCT star diagonal, which will get you started with the EPs for visual. Not sure what the kit is selling for (was about $250) but the diagonal is enhanced coatings (92% reflectivity) and the EPs are Kellners.

If you look around the Classifieds and eBay you'll notice 99% refectivity diagonals going for under $100. These are usually "refractor" diagonals which means you'll need that 2" visual back. Shouldn't have to go more than $25 for one.

For great starter eyepieces I'd look for a used Meade Series 5000 5 element Plossl in 32mm and a 24-25 in the Series 5000 SWA or UWA. These sell frequently for about 25-30% of new prices and are really unappreciated. Made by the same people that make the ES EPs every one is falling over each other to buy. You need a 10-12mm too, but not much point in getting one in the 2" format.

First get Mike Covington's "DSLR Astrophotagraphy."

www.telescopeadapters.com/‎ sells a nice combo t-ring/2" insertion barrel adapter that I prefer. Runs a few bucks more than buying them separately.

You will probably want a Celestron f/6.3 focal reducer. Budget $80 used.

#5 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW NH

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:33 PM

I'll add that according to Celestron, the diagonal in the kit is NOT the XLT model.

#6 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

:foreheadslap: ohhhh. I think I need to step back a bit here. I normally order through B&H, but amazon shouldn't be an issue. I really should ask what accessories I need for astrophotography and also what would be a good observing kit to go with my telescope model.

I apologise for my lack of clarity. I ordered the book actually.Should be getting it soon.

#7 Geo.

Geo.

Gemini

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

Not a problem, that's what the forum's for.

#8 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

Thank you...there is so little information on celestron website about compatability of accessories. All I need really is the required adapters for photography and what is needed for viewing using the 2" eyepieces or if the 2" eyepiece kit is even compatable with my scope.

#9 Coastal

Coastal

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver island, Canada

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

If you end up investing in a diagonal or a 2" visual back, consider Baader Clicklock products. They keep eyepieces very secure and centered. For imaging (when not using the hyperstar) I prefer to keep everything threaded, but sometimes you end up with a component (reducer/flattener etc) that only comes with a 2" nosepiece and with the Clicklock its not a problem.

#10 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:26 AM

ok, some bad news. its the cg5 mount. is that one as bad for this scope as is suggested?

#11 roamer

roamer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

I have a 2" Televue visual back and a Stellarview 2" diagonal on my 9.25. I love it.

#12 Geo.

Geo.

Gemini

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

The CG-5 is a close copy of the Vixen GP-DX. A conservative payload for the GP-DX is 22#. So your 9.25 is close to max payload. But I say give it a try. The ASCG-5 is out of production and the AVX is $800, so the ASCG-5s should hold their price pretty well. Don't like the combo? A lot of Atlas-Gs and CGEMs around for under a grand. Use the ASCG-5 until you have the money for an upgrade.

#13 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:00 AM

hmm. will it allow me to mount my canon 550d if its close to payload?

#14 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

hmm. will it allow me to mount my canon 550d if its close to payload?

Yes.

#15 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

:-) very nice. I hope it tracks well.I will know when I recieve it later this month. In Trinidad the weather has been absolutely horrid....rain and clods for weeks now

#16 Geo.

Geo.

Gemini

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

Lot of wind here, trees down so there's more sky. No flying clods, though :roflmao:

#17 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

lol, glad I could bring a laugh today. :-P

Trinidad had nice nice seeing and because its outside the hurricane belt its nice and safe to observe. Downside though is that the west of the island has horrid light pollution. :-(. Progress without thought

#18 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:40 AM

I finally got the scope!
First of all, this thing is hugeeee and heavy! My heavy lifting days really helped.The skies have been wonderful since I got it. So much for the so called scope curse! :-P

Setup was easy, but unfortunately I live 10 degrees north latitude so I don't know how to set up the mount for it. I have the CG5. Please help!

I colluminate the scope and thankfully everything was nicely focused. However I am using Go to and still not sure how to properly setup the go to function. I feel this may be related to the polar alignment issue i currently face. Manually slewing has been good and globular clusters look amazing.

It was well worth the money!

So if anyone can tell me how to polar alighn for this mount at my latitude, i would be really grateful.

#19 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

"Collimate." Sorry, one of my pet peeves. :lol:

To get down to 10N you will have to remove the front locking bolt on the mount head, the front altitude/latitude adjuster bolt. I had to do that to get down to 30N with the CG5. It won't hurt anything to remove it.

#20 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

lol, spelling is not my strong point. :-P

I removed the bolt but the arrow won't go any lower than 30 degrees. :-(

#21 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:58 AM

I got through. apprarently the retention bracket for the screw can also come out, and voila! 10 degrees north!

#22 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

first image. Shot it with my S2 so its horrible

Posted Image

#23 highfnum

highfnum

Vanguard

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

what is s2?
not so horrible - first shots
you need a little practice
925 can do great planetary

Attached Files

#24 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

sorry, I meant that I shot it with a galaxy S2 put to the eyepiece so the quality would be not good. The scope itself is fantastic! sorry for the miscommunication. :-)

#25 highfnum

highfnum

Vanguard

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

oh :rainbow:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics