Saturn 5/27-8/13 10:30-12:30 Edited

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

Attached is an sketch of a fair view I had of Saturn last night with my 8" reflector...

Seeing: 6/10 Pickering
Transp:poor but not detractive
Temp 60f
Wind: calm
Site : central western CT, home.

The seeing initially was 4/10 and I grumbled about it as it would've been two nights in a row and I didn't want another fruitless observation. What's wild is when the seeing settled it didn it over the course of 15 minutes!!!!

Magnification wavered between 200x and 250x with 200x being the best overall magnification. I did have my binoviewers out tonight and while they proved fantastic - since the low power for these with my current oculars is 350x I had to pass. Still what a blast with the maxbrights.

It was interesting to note Cassinis in 4/10 then watch it grow in 6/10 seeing. It went from being limited to the outter ansae to nearly touching globes edge. Very impressive to see the still moments broaden its length through the apparent ellipse. The gap which is Cassinis was beautifully resolved as a generous space filled with background space making it appear blackish (Cassinis never appears ink black as we all know). The way it became slender as the ellipse thinned was striking.

The A ring was a nice flat even grey edge to edge. The minima is an illusion I always count myself lucky when its not there. The inside edge of the A ring normally has a bright edge where it borders Cassini but alas the seeing.

The B Ring was seen in three smeared graduated steps from darkest at the ansae inside edge to mid tone in the middle to pearly white at Cassinis edge. This edge facing Cassinis is always the brightest value Ive ever seen on this planet.

The C ring took a hit in Pickering 6 along with the poor transparency that even dimmed Titan still it was seen at the ansae. I omitted it from the drawing as I only have graphite handy and the ring shows best in a grey pastel.

The globe....

The single most difficult feature is that temperate latitude light albedo zone.
It took the best moments of 6/10 to pop it up along with neighboring darker belts bordering it. There's no two ways about it - in 6/10 seeing this is a difficult feature!!!

The Hexagon, here to referred as the cap, was subtle as well but not like the temp zone. Indeed better seeing moments yield a lighter toned surrounding the cap along its preceding and following edges. It was a toughy too but one look at it through 6Pickering and its clear 8/10 would show this off wonderfully. I doubt the hex facets would ever show ( though a c8 can image them along with Enckes Gap) but it'd be reward enough to see this tight ellipse of a pole really crispens with definition!

The EZ in better seeing shows that thin belt that bisects it at the equator but my best efforts tonight showed it wonderfully blank and a nice pale off white/cream shade.

Final points:

1. Enceladus repeatedly popped though with long bouts of invisibility . An extra terrific trophy given the transparency! I'm phat with pride on this call.
2. The boundary layer fan REALLY tightened up Titan. With no fans at all it took months to see this orb be orb like as the internal thermals would have Titan flare without mercy. This isn't to say at 6/10 I resolved it disk - it was SOFT but it was cohesive. Those stabbing flares and spikes were nixed. This view alone justified the primary rear blowing fan and the boundary fan.
In the past it took sometimes months to catch a night where the thermals in the tube by serendipity were equal to night air temp. What a difference to go from no fan thermals free for all to this thermal-less view. I'm only bothered I waited so long to install. And its only 6 Pickering - amazing.
3. Binoviewers are wonderful and they were worth every cent but my monos are no slouch. I regretted not have 200x for my binos but I hardly swore using mono.

Hope you guys like.

An artistic note: this was done on copier paper which I found atrocious . I'm getting some nice plate finish illustration board and save the copier paper for outside preliminary sketches.

My apologies for the patchiness. I finally gave up and decided to post it anyway.

Pete

Attached Files

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

Pete, I am stoked you got out and observed Saturn. Cooling fans, Enceladus, a hint of the hex, and a very nice sketch despite the paper. Oh, and new coatings. Good on you, mate.

#3 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

Beautiful sketch Pete. Very nice detiais.

Norme. Glad to see you back.

Andre

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

Lol Im still not done with that sketch . I'm going to Open it up in photoshop, adjust the exaggerated contrast to tame it. Then Ill brightn and colorize.

It was nice to see it again the 8". I'm convinced 4/10 seeing reduces the planet to what my 70mm achro sees on a good night. It was a relief to get 6 Pickering. Ivano quite amazingly got great seeing where he used 450x on Saturn with a ten inch Clark refractor just ten miles away!!! I had so such good fortunes and 200x was about it. His view of Saturn is reminiscent of what Ive seen on 8/10 nights.

Pete

#5 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

Andre, still traveling and keepingvtabs on you boys. Good to see you're still at it, too.

Pete, my hats off to to you for studying Saturn for two hours despite the seeing. Thats hardcore observing. It is weird Ivano had better seeing not far away. Scares me a bit cuz Im moving 4 hours south. Id shoot myself if I gave up my prestine seeing.

#6 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

Lol now that'd be a rotten thing Norme!!! Why the move?????

Thanks Andre!!!!

Pete

#7 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:45 PM

Better beaches. I suspect the seeing will be as good despite my best efforts to thwart myself.

Pete, you never did answer my question on floaters when bino viewing.

I Ibhatehate ipads.

#8 JimPie

JimPie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.E.Michigan

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:30 PM

Pete, Very nice sketch & detailed observation.

#9 Aquarellia

Aquarellia

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Provence, France

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:39 PM

Superb !

#10 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:21 AM

Thanks guys.

The floaters - I didn't notice any actually. Odd. I know on my 8x42 binos I've got a couple that'll swim right across center field, but I merely and momentarily slightly close that eye and continue viewing unobstructed by floaters. That way the view is always clean.

Oh the other thing about binos on your scope - they make the thing look like one serious all business bada__ scope. They are BEAUTIFULLY crafted.

Pete

#11 idp

idp

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: New Haven, CT

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

Hey, this is an awesome sketch! I am especially impressed by your rendering of Cassini div., never got close to that. You are certainly going to have better seeing in the summer, I am leaving again unfortunately so no more observations till August... sigh.

Ivano

#12 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:19 AM

Pete, great sketch and report.

#13 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

Pete,

Very good sketch of Saturn :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#14 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Pete,
Very nice work. Impressive detail.

Ken

#15 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

Very nice Saturn goood detail very accurate congrads.

#16 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

Pete,

How did I miss this sketch?

Excellent rendering of magnificent Saturn. :waytogo:

Frank :)

#17 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

Thanks a lot guys!!!!

Again it wasn't great seeing but I could ferret out details enough to assemble a halfway decent drawing. At 4/10 seeing though - its simply not worth the pencil lead - unless it was to show how degrading the seeing can be.

I worked with the sketch today smoothing some things, coloring others, I think ill post the redux tomorrow. Photoshop does do a great job with things like this.

Pete

#18 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

• Loc: York, England

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

Pete

I like that you have kept the rings subtle, like they really are.
And the rings are spot on too.

About the floaters, or all the *BLEEP* in my eyes, as Ivano perfectly puts it, I have quite a lot in my eyes, but I find that they are nowhere near as bad through binoviewers, sometimes I don't even notice them.

#19 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

Chris,

Thank you for your kind words! I'm anticipating some 8-9/10 seeing this summer do I can really nail the finer details again. In better seeing Ring A has its on albedos , the crepe goes all the way around and Cassinis would be closer to the globe. I really worked hard to get what I got in 6/10!!!

The nice thing about binoviewers and binoculars I ve found is its not common to have both eyes with floaters dead center and as they gloat across its simple for the other eye to ignore it and still keep seeing or in worst case closing the floater eye for a couple seconds till it migrates away.
Through it all constant observing is held uninterrupted save for blinking :). .

Its funny I didn't look for it but I didn't notice don't floaters in the half hour I used the binoviewers at 350x. That'd never happen in mono. I think it might have been present - it'd have to at 350x - but I don't recall it. Again I think the other eye that's floater free on axis (for the moment) compensates the obscured other eye.

I'm chomping at the bit for a great summer still night!!!

Pete

#20 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

Pete, bino the moon and check for floater. Damn things obscure the Cats Paw at exactly the wrong time. Sometimes the interfere with Jupiter. I can't remember trouble with Saturn, but maybe.

You mentioned Ivanos better seeing a few miles away. I'm wondering if the source of your angst is local.

#21 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

By the way, did you revise your sketch? It looks better. Maybe it's just different on my iPhone.

#22 ericj

ericj

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

Very fine sketch Pete, you recoded a lot of fine detail.

Best,

Eric

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics