Photo

Sturdy and ultra portable Alt AZ mount for C6?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FishInPercolator

FishInPercolator

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NYC

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

This will be for quick grab-n-go outreach and when I'm lazy to use an equatorial. The payload should encompass a C6, SV60 guider and a video camera or DSLR. Any recommendations for one that is ultra-light weight and sturdy?

#2 munchmeister

munchmeister

Ranger 4

• Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

Desert Sky Astro DSV-1 might do it. I have a DSV-2 and mount my C6 SCT on it for quick views of Saturn, etc in the back yard. The DSV-2 with the Quick Balance System is great. I have it mounted on an Oberwerk surveyor style tripod. This ain't exactly light weight but if you are asking for ultra light weight AND sturdy enough for that, sumpins gotta give.

#3 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

I'll 2nd a dsv-1. the stellarvue m2 could be go also.
I can carry this rig up the basement stairs and out the house with one hand, but then I'm not that weak either. :grin:

the his and hers companion rig...
Posted Image

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

Well well, I figured we'd probably arrive at this point.

1) Since your going to be using one of Matt's video cameras and you'll be limited to 17s exposures just go and get the 6SE package. Don't bother initially with the gem, DSLR, or autoguider or anything like that. Get the 6SE, video camera, a focal reducer, dew shield, power supply, and something to control and display the output of the video camera. When you buy the 6SE package you're getting a great deal on the ota and mount (if you value the ota on it's own for $499 it's like getting the the SE mount for just $219 (the 6SE is on sale right now).

This way you can get into video observing right away at a great price, and then ease into the rest and spread out your expenditures.

Yes the SE mount weighs a little bit more than a manual alt az mount but it's not that big a deal. Yes it needs to be powered to use it so you will have to get used to a battery and doing a simple alignment if you are in a hurry. Beyond that it will have much more capability than a manual alt az so you'll probably find yourself using it and not setting up the portable gem style mount very often.

2) Only once you're comfortable with the little alt az goto setup and video observing/imaging go and get your portable gem mount, DSLR and autoguider. Just swap the C6 ota from the SE mount to the gem.

Use the SE for your video work, and for the times you want a simple and fast setup.
Use the gem and DSLR for longer exposure work with the autoguider.

#5 FishInPercolator

FishInPercolator

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

Hey Mark, I've considered this one before but I want the tube to be able to placed on an EQ mount for longer exposures. Vixen has an alt az mount that has tracking for those occasions when I want short exposure or just something light I can quickly take with me on the go... So I'm in the market for two mounts each to be used depending on the occasion.

#6 FishInPercolator

FishInPercolator

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Hey, Danny, can you get tracking/goto on that? Can one tube be used for autoguiding?

#7 munchmeister

munchmeister

Ranger 4

• Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

Hey, Danny, can you get tracking/goto on that? Can one tube be used for autoguiding?

You can get digital setting circles on the DSV-3 for about $1000. I don't think you can autoguide with the dual saddles without some serious calibration of your guide scope and AP scope, but I'm just guessing there.

#8 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

I think you're going to have to resign yourself to the fact that visual and imaging applications have very different requirements. It's not unusual to have a separate dedicated mount for imaging and another setup for visual observing. I use the same scope for visual and imaging, but have separate mounts. The C6 has a long enough focal length that it will require a decent tracking mount to get even short unguided exposures. If you go with a video cam like the Malincam then you can probably get away with just using an alt/az mount and short exposures. A buddy of mine has a lot of fun using a Malincam with his Nexstar C11 setup.

Patrick

#9 FishInPercolator

FishInPercolator

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

That's fine, so I could put a dovetail 80mm refractor on the 6SE mount if I wanted to, and for EQ just get a wedge?

#10 FishInPercolator

FishInPercolator

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

The celestron wedge is 30 pounds, so counterproductive with portability in mind. I am going to go with the 6SE for now and the ZEQ25 in a couple of months.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics