AVX Alignment Fail

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dasams

dasams

Sputnik

• Loc: NorCal

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

I've had my AVX for a few weeks but have been struggling of late.

Straight out of the box, I was able to polar align, then two star plus 3-4 calibration stars and the mount would slew to whatever target I picked. Also, the first two stars were near the center of my 12mm eyepiece. I'm a happy camper :D

Last week, something changed as I cannot slew to a target post alignment. Here's last night's example which is my fifth night of failure.

1. Rough polar alignment using the finder scope and the hollow core of the RA axis to confirm Polaris.
2. Initiate two star align. The first star may or may not be within my 22mm eyepiece but I can usually find it. Center in eyepiece.
3. The second star is harder to find but doable.
4. Add calibration stars. This is tricky as it's sometime hard to figure out which star is the target one. And they are never in the center of the eyepiece. Nonetheless, do my best to center.
5. Alignment complete so I pick Polaris with the HC and the AVX slews but misses Polaris by a mile as it's outside my 22mm eyepiece. Yikes.
6. Try again with another easily identifiable star such as Dubhe and another miss.

The index marks are lined up and the mount is level and in the same place as it's been every night. Nothing else has changed that I can figure out and yet I cannot get it aligned :confused:

Are the old alignments saved and if so, can the mount electronics be reset (it's powered off after every session)? Could this be a hardware failure? Any other suggestions? Thanks, Dave

#2 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

Do a Factory reset, enter your position (and possibly time, I don't know if the RTC will survive a reset) and try again.

What happens is that the mount uses the previous alignment to help with the new one. If that's bad it doesn't always seem to recover. The Factory Reset wipes the slate clean.

What should happen is that the first star of a 2+n alignment may be well out but the second should be much closer. Similarly the first calibration star may be out but the third or fourth star should be really close.

Chris

#3 dasams

dasams

Sputnik

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:41 PM

Do a Factory reset,

Chris: I looked for a factory reset earlier this week but struck out. Searched again and there it is in Utilities. I can't get out tonight but fingers crossed for tomorrow. Thanks!

#4 dasams

dasams

Sputnik

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

Do a Factory reset

Did the factory reset on Thu night. Set everything up last night, powered on and then... nothing. No lights, no noises, nothing. Double checked the power source with an inverter and no issues. Called Highpoint Scientific and they will try to send a replacement HC on Mon :bawling:

Maybe it's a sign to return the unit and buy a GM-8 :shrug: Dave

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

Or it may simply be a sign to take a jeweler's screwdriver or small knife and spread the pins on the power connector on the mount. I am doubtful this is an HC problem...

#6 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

My guess is that you are aligning on some wrong stars. I often don't get my initial 2 stars for alignment or my first calibration star in the eyepiece field. I need to use the finder as specified. And that is with an alignment within about 1 minute of the pole. It is tough to align those index marks all that accurately.

Once I get those initial 2 stars plus the first calibration star aligned, things tend to get VERY good. I'm using a CG-5 but the AVX should be the same.

One thing you can do is check how bad it things your alignment is with the pole (Display alignment). You can also see how bad it thinks your cone error is.

Also, it helps immensely to use an illuminated reticle eyepiece when doing the centering. It is easy to be quite off without one.

EDIT: Oh, and ALWAYS finish alignments UP and to the RIGHT.

#7 dasams

dasams

Sputnik

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

..take a jeweler's screwdriver or small knife and spread the pins on the power connector on the mount.

I see from your blog that you also have an AVX and I'm trying to follow you advice. However, the connection at the power source is secure as is the connection at the mount. Here's pics of the mount connection. Dave

Edit: I figured out what you meant by 'spread the pins' but still no luck.

Attached Files

#8 dasams

dasams

Sputnik

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

One thing you can do is check how bad it things your alignment is with the pole (Display alignment). You can also see how bad it thinks your cone error is.

Good ideas which I'll try when/if I can get it to power up.

EDIT: Oh, and ALWAYS finish alignments UP and to the RIGHT.

:waytogo:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics