• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

Anyone use Skyfi with Anker Pro? Are they compatible? Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

The voltage (12V) and amperage looks fine. The only question is do they have an adapter with the correct specs. Here is what SkyFi needs:

DC Input - allows SkyFi to be powered from an external source. The input DC power requirements are 6 - 12 Volts, 0.5 - 1.5 amps. The connector fits any standard center-positive 5.5 mm OD x 2.1 mm ID male barrel plug.

#3 tezster

tezster

Viking 1

• Loc: Missisauga, Canada

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:01 AM

Just keep in mind that the Anker line of battery packs requires a minimum constant power draw of 80mAH, or it will shut off automatically.

#4 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

• Loc: Desierto de Sonora

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

I use one of these off of my Anker Pro2 to power both the Orion StarSeek (same as the SkiFi) and my CGEM:

http://www.amazon.co...0_i00?ie=UTF...

Works fine. As Terence mentions though you have to meet that minimum power draw to avoid shutdown. The CGEM mount by itself, for example, isn't adequate.

#5 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

Thanks guys!

#6 mapotter99

mapotter99

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Millsboro, Delaware

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:09 PM

Hi all. I bought the Anker 20000mah battery for my XT10g, StarSeek wifi, and equatorial mount. It works great on all, but the included multivolt cable kept coming loose in the telescope power socket! It is a tiny bit infuriating to just finish a polar or 2/3 star alignment, only to loose power and have to do it all over again!

I started digging, and it turns out that the Anker multivolt cable has a "type N" adapter (2.5mm inner diameter) on the outgoing end. Both of my telescopes and the StarSeek have "type M" connectors (2.1mm inner diameter). The bigger pin opening of the included cable makes the connection to the telescope and StarSeek flaky.

So... I took a ride to RadioShack. They have an plug system called Enercell Adaptaplug. I made a cable with the correct connectors using the Enercell 6' female-to-female socket cable, an Enercell type M connector (for the telescope), and an Enercell type B connector (for the Anker multivolt port). It works great! No more flaky connection! Total cost was about $25. Pricey for what it is, but well worth it for a solid power connection!

Thought I'd post this here for any others encountering this!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics