• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FishInPercolator

FishInPercolator

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NYC

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

Are there any "push to" software packages that run off a laptop for mounts that do not have native goto capabilities? There would have to be some way for the software to realize the scope's orientation.

#2 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

You need encoders on the mount.

Cartes du Ciel can talk to a Tangent Instruments box (or similar) and update the reticle in real time as you push the scope around.

Although the best bet is probably Sky Safari for iOS or Android, with a Nexus device reading your mount encoders.

#3 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

There are all-in-one as well as encoder based versions. Jim's Mobile Incorporated has several- mostly made as retrofit kits. You can also find them at Universal Astronomics for use on push-to forks (really nice, light, and tough mounts, BTW).

There are others as well. But yes, this capability exists, and you don't actually need the laptop along.

-Rich

#4 FishInPercolator

FishInPercolator

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

Hey Rich... could it work on an Astro Tech Voyager alt-az? There is a tracking device for that as an add-on as well, so essentially in the end I could have a better version of the 6SE mount I think... now if there's a wedge I could have EQ and possibly the lightest 20 lb payload eq mount in existence!

#5 FishInPercolator

FishInPercolator

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

Eh, these train-n-track thingies are a nuisance I hear.

#6 John Carruthers

John Carruthers

Skiprat

• Loc: Kent, UK

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:46 AM

http://www.manortron...auges.com/Astro

AstroFix are compact and self contained push to units.

#7 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:05 AM

Between the AstroTech Voyager and the NexStar SE, you are talking about going from a set of tailored friction bearings to a fully powered GOTO mount. The Voyger has no hope of tracking something in the sky, Alt Az or Equatorial- it's the minimum gear to be able to walk outside, plop down a scope, and point it at something. With that said, it needs no power or calibration. I suggest just running something like Sky Safari on an iPhone and use the map from it to get way points to get the scope pointed if you are using an AT Voyager.

-Rich

#8 FishInPercolator

FishInPercolator

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

There's a tracking addon for the Voyager but not sure how well it would perform for taking longer than 2 minute exposures.

#9 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Missouri

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

Google Dave Ek and you'll find links to how to build your own digital setting circles that will let you do a push to with a computer. I added them to my old C8 for about $125 . They work well.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics