SETI taking an unwise turn?

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#101 groz

groz

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Campbell River, BC

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

Interesting comments, but, I have a slightly different perspective. Indeed, much is relavent, if the endeavor is publicly funded, ie, public input into the consumption of public resources. SETI is for the most part privately funded, and, the majority comes from a single donor. Therefore, the question that comes to my mind.

Nobody is breaking any laws, so, what part of 'free country' is unclear ?

#102 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

Exactly, my gun weilding redneck drunken idiot neighbors or the cell-phone distracted driver on the highyway are much more an imminent threat to me, and they are free to do things that may bring me harm. The "made-up" (and let's face it, it is made up, there is no data to support any intelligent life out there yet) possiblity of attracting bad things from out in the cosmos doesn't scare me one bit.

#103 Pess

Pess

(Title)

• Loc: Toledo, Ohio

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

Please guys, maintain perspective.

Any signal we send out will travel at the speed of light. It'll be hundreds of years before it encompasses more than a few systems.

Our Military radar has been sending out powerful radio waves for decades that are readily identifiable as artificially created.

Pesse (Don't lose any sleep) Mist

#104 Rudra

Rudra

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

It is also possible that other civilizations in the Universe are still in the various stages of evolution and perhaps we are the most advanced race in the Universe.

#105 WaterMaster

WaterMaster

Moat Keeper

• Administrators
  • Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

It is also possible that other civilizations in the Universe are still in the various stages of evolution and perhaps we are the most advanced race in the Universe.

Now that's a scary thought. :scared:

#106 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

• Loc: At the Gym >Spudtastic<

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:34 AM

Please guys, maintain perspective.

Any signal we send out will travel at the speed of light. It'll be hundreds of years before it encompasses more than a few systems.

Our Military radar has been sending out powerful radio waves for decades that are readily identifiable as artificially created.

Pesse (Don't lose any sleep) Mist

TV and radio waves most likely radiate out into space for decades... :o

Dobie Gillis
Gilligan's Island
Three Stooges
Banjo Billy

I'm sure the aliens have absolutely no reason to contact us..... :lol: :roflmao:

Attached Files

#107 scopethis

scopethis

Cosmos

• Loc: Kingman, Ks

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

if advanced civilizations exist, the how come we haven't "picked up" any of their radio/tv shows?

#108 haywool

haywool

Explorer 1

• Loc: Illinois, U.S.A.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

If there are advanced civilizations not of this planet, earth, they could be WAY more advanced than us minor earthlings and have better, more sophisticated, faster communications than "radio/tv" and probably something that we haven't even discovered yet. :foreheadslap: Heck! They might even know that we are here and see us as so backwards as to disregard us completely. :bawling:

Rich

#109 Pess

Pess

(Title)

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:31 PM

if advanced civilizations exist, the how come we haven't "picked up" any of their radio/tv shows?

That question was asked before when our radiation into the radio & TV spectrum was increasing exponentially for decades.

Earth was getting brighter and brighter in the radio spectrum. But now, we are getting quieter and quieter as broadcasting turns to fiber optic distribution.

Therefore more advanced civilizations may only broadcast 'loudly' for a few short decades. Add to that the extreme attenuation of any radio broadcast signal and the fact we have not detected anyone yet is not surprising.

In fact, assuming all the closest solar systems to us had comparable tech , we would not be able to detect their general radio broadcasts unless they sent a tight beam broadcast directly at us.

But then again, nobody us exactly sure where episodes of Jerry springer came from.

Pesse (I suspect they are a preemptive attack) Mist

#110 Rudra

Rudra

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

Why do we think that "advanced" alien civilizations know of us but continue to ignore us because we are backwards in terms of technology, science and evolution? Why do we think that faced with the same type of situation, we would ignore backward civilizations and move on? Have we ever done it? I mean in human history, have we ignored and moved on things that we find or discover? If we find "Dinosaurs" on another planet, would we just whizz past, merely giving it a yawning cursory glance? I am sure, if Curiosity discovers microbes on Mars, the world would be ablaze with excitement and hope. We will not ignore the microbes and move on, instead we will study them and try to find their origin and evolution. Same is the case with life on other (exo)planets. No matter how minuscule, how ordinary, how simple the life is, I do NOT think we are going to ignore it. Scientists will be more than curious to find out about how life evolved on different planets, during different times and under different circumstances in the history of the Universe. We communicate today using means at the speed of light with one another, yet we also communicate with remote tribes of human race who have literally no communication with the outside world. We just do not ignore them and move on or do we?

Having said that, I think at least in our part of the Galaxy, we might be the (and only) form of advanced life.

#111 Pess

Pess

(Title)

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

Earths 'brightness' as an artificial source of radio waves is only a sphere about 70 light years in diameter. Not very large in the overall scheme of things.

Maybe we are still just a needle in a haystack.

Could also be that something akin to wormholes are quite common in the Universe around solar systems and aliens use them like a Federal highway system. But Earth's Sol might lack this structure marooning us in isolation until we make that first interstellar crossing.

Pesse (shrugs) Mist

#112 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

No, we don't move on until we've eaten it, caged it, or killed it.

/Ira

#113 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

Why do we think that "advanced" alien civilizations know of us but continue to ignore us because we are backwards in terms of technology, science and evolution? Why do we think that faced with the same type of situation, we would ignore backward civilizations and move on? Have we ever done it? I mean in human history, have we ignored and moved on things that we find or discover?

Not exactly, but close...

Sentinelese Islanders

Contact attempts were made, were resisted, and the eventual decision was to leave these people alone. I think that may be unprecedented in human history, until now.

#114 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

I mean in human history, have we ignored and moved on things that we find or discover? If we find "Dinosaurs" on another planet, would we just whizz past, merely giving it a yawning cursory glance?

The answer is, probably "yes". Study the Viking mission and all the follow-up investigations.

#115 TL2101

TL2101

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Concord, CA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:29 PM

According to the Canadian Minister of Defense they are already here.

YouTube

#116 Mxplx2

Mxplx2

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: PA USA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

Using the inverse square law of 1/R^2, would any signal be detectable at the receivers vantage point? R is gonna get pretty big when we're considering the universe, and it would probably be swamped by other sources at the receiver's end. I guess they figured that out though.

#117 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

According to the Canadian Minister of Defense they are already here.

YouTube

Wow....just .... wow... they won't get me though, I let a little blood out each night to make sure.

#118 TL2101

TL2101

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Concord, CA

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:25 AM

:roflmao: I think the aliens work for SETI. It would be a perfect cover.

#119 Mxplx2

Mxplx2

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: PA USA

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

Just a short SETI related story: Back in the '50's I remember seeing a movie where they wanted to transmit a signal to search for alien life, but didn't know what to send. One of the scientists sons came in the room eating a piece of pie. Out of frustration, the scientists asked the boy what they should transmit and he replied "pi" but the scientist thought he said "pie." There was a eureka moment when the scientists saw the universal relationship of the circumference of a circle to it's diameter, and that would be recognizable as an indicator of intelligent life. That struck me even that long ago.

#120 Mister T

Mister T

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:36 AM

pi(e) is always the answer!!!

#121 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

Correct. Pie R round.

#122 Mister T

Mister T

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

Correct. Pie R round.

I are round from eating too much pi(e) :grin:

#123 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oort Cloud 9

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

Now, if the aliens bring good pie, then I am satisfied with being conquered and/or enslaved. I am a sucker for a good key lime pie. :)

#124 Mister T

Mister T

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

my fave t-shirt says i 8 &#8721; &#960;

(sum pi) freakin computers!! :mad:

#125 Pess

Pess

(Title)

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

I doubt aliens would enslave mankind.

Slavery always dies out when it becomes more expensive to house, feed, cloth and maintain a slave over buying a machine to do the same task.

Slavery only makes sense when human power is cheaper than hav'n some machine do'ing that for you......

I imagine that if an alien race could zip around the galaxy and wanted the resources located within our gravity well...they would just use monstrous harvesting machines and view humans as a more or less nuisance infestation that they may or may not tolerate.

Pesse ('Hey Curly, them pests scampering all over. Will ya set out the Human roach motels?..they'll check in but they'll never check out!) Mist

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics