New Version of Hallo Northern Sky Available

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

• Loc: Fogpatch, CA

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:01 AM

Han Kleijn's Hallo Northern Sky was the first planetarium program I downloaded several years ago. I've always liked it.

A new version 240b15 is now available. I assume the "b" in 240b15 means beta. If your OS is Windows Vista, 7 or 8 you need to install Microsoft's Win32Hlp.exe to use the help files.

I got it yesterday and it seems to be fine on my Windows 7 crackerbox.

http://www.hnsky.org/software.htm

#2 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

• Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

Todd,
Thanks for the link. If I was still using Windows, I would jump on this upgrade. HNSky was a great field program when it first came out. I liked how easy it was to use on a laptop in the field even under difficult (i.e., cold weather with gloves on environment) conditions. It was also a "light weight" program that ran very efficiently and quickly on my computers. Those combined with its very strong object databases made it a favorite with me.

#3 BPO

BPO

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Island, NZ

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

The final version of HNSky v2.4.0 (ie non-Beta) has been released.

http://www.hnsky.org...tware.htm#hnsky

This is arguably still the best planetarium and telescope-control app around for people who hate software bloat and resource hogware.

#4 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

Thanks. Just got it.

#5 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:45 AM

I used to teach from HNSky when I was teaching astronomy 10 years ago, it used the SAC database which I helped create and it does a fine job of providing plenty of power without overwhelming newbies with so much info and pushbuttons. Even the business students could use it;-)

Glad to see that Han is still keeping it going.

Steve Coe

#6 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

I've had problems with previous versions of the program on Win7. Some of the planets would not show up if FITS images were enabled. The recent version would not react properly to the North Always Up selection. It acted like it was on the opposite side of the planet, and tilted, even though the home location was correct. All of the problems were solved by deleting the Default.ini file and letting the program build a new one. There was something in this file from older versions that was not compatible with the newer versions.

#7 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

Thanks. I rarely look at the planet FITS images. Problem fixed.

#8 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

I've always liked that program, until it started acting strange. Now that it's fixed, I use it to select my alignment stars at the beginning of a session. The AL/AZ readout shows me exactly where to look.

Thanks for your post. I had given up on the program and went to Stellarium but now enjoy both.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics