• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 astrovienna

astrovienna

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: The NoVa White Zone

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:15 AM

I reinstalled WinXP on my observatory laptop last week, and now I can't get Nexremote to run reliably. It will stop working, anywhere from 5 to 90 minutes after startup. The first I know of it is when I start seeing error messages on the PC. The first one is usually the Celestron driver box, and it just says "timed out while waiting for data." At that point, Nexremote no longer responds to any button pushes, and any command sent through it, like by PHD, draws an ASCOM error message, like "failed pulseguide" etc. Device Manager says both the virtual and real ports are functioning correctly. And the mount keeps tracking.

Any ideas? My next step is to rip out and reinstall Nexremote, which I haven't done yet. CPC1100 with Nexremote 1.7.22, ASCOM6 SP1, Win XP. PHD 1.14.0.

Kevin

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

Well, reinstalling NR is not a huge deal, so I'd do that...but...after you reinstalled XP, did you update your video drivers to a current version? If not, I would.

#3 ahan.tm

ahan.tm

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

Check your ASCOM drivers. Only driver versions after 5.0.23 support pulse guiding. You can download it here: http://download.asco...0.30)Setup.exe.

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

Check your ASCOM drivers.

NexRemote doesn't use ASCOM...and the presence or absence of them shouldn't cause it to crash....but you never know. I'd deinstall ASCOM too, reinstall NR, and take it from there step by step.

#5 astrovienna

astrovienna

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

I'm using the current Celestron ASCOM driver (5.0.30). There's nothing to do to set that up, right? I just open the properties box, select my scope and the virtual COM port, and it should work, right?

I'll check the video drivers. Video is running fine for everything else, but you never know.

Kevin

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

I'm using the current Celestron ASCOM driver (5.0.30). There's nothing to do to set that up, right? I just open the properties box, select my scope and the virtual COM port, and it should work, right?

I'll check the video drivers. Video is running fine for everything else, but you never know.

Kevin

No, there's no specific setup until you want to use it, then you'll need to use the Chooser to select scope/device/etc. Still, as I edited my above post to say, I'd remove it, too. Then reinstall NR. If that stops the crashes, reinstall ASCOM and make sure you load the latest platform version.

#7 astrovienna

astrovienna

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Thanks, Rod and Ahan. I'm starting to think ASCOM is more likely the problem. I only use Nexremote itself while setting up, but after that ASCOM handles all the comms. The first error message that pops up is from the Celestron driver (which I figure means the Celestron ASCOM driver), so maybe some signal goes astray, crashes the ASCOM driver, and that somehow messes with Nexremote. Nexremote isn't really crashed, since the right-click menu will still pop up and follow instructions. It just won't accept move commands from ASCOM or button presses. Puzzling.

Anyway, I'll rip out the Celestron ASCOM driver and see if that fixes it. I posted in the CPC Yahoo group too, and maybe Chris R will drop by there.

Kevin

#8 astrovienna

astrovienna

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

It turns out that ASCOM isn't the problem. I've tested this some more, and what happens is that at some point, without explanation, NR fails to respond to a button push. After that point, it stops responding to info requests from ASCOM and other programs (and of course won't respond to any more button pushes). I've ripped it out and reinstalled. Any other ideas?

Kevin

#9 Starblazer999

Starblazer999

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

Seems like you are losing coms between scope and pc as data is being sent but no return sig or drops out ,are you connected to the handset or the PC port on the scope

#10 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

Are you using a USB hub? If so, remove it.

What sort of USB serial adapter are you using? The only one I've used that works reliably with NexRemote is the Keyspan.

#11 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

As Rod said.. More than likely the USB to serial adapter. That's normally the symptoms of a flaky unit.

#12 astrovienna

astrovienna

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

I'm actually not using a hub or a serial adapter. I used the Keyspan on my old laptop, but on this one (a Dell D830) the serial port actually works. And the connection is via the port on the hand control.

I'm certain something went wrong during the WinXP reinstall, because this setup worked fine for almost a year before that. But I can't figure out what it could be. Any likely trouble areas?

Kevin

#13 Starblazer999

Starblazer999

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:56 PM

I always run nxremote from the pc port you need to disconnect the hand controller as it is bypassed I was having the hand controller go crazy after connecting to it just need to use a DB9 TO RJ45 8pin converter you can always try A different computer with a converter to see if you get the same problem to narrow it down

#14 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:26 AM

I would use the SysInternals Portmon application to monitor the serial port communication and see if there's something going on which is related to the problem. This is really only for a computing expert though.

It may also be worth trying to run without NexRemote, using the real HC. If there's a problem at the scope side that may show the same problem.

It's difficult to think of something that could be wrong with the PC install that allows things to work for a while, then fail.

But a momentary power interruption on the mount could cause this because the mount stops responding.

Chris

#15 astrovienna

astrovienna

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

The mount itself actually keeps tracking. As near as I can tell, the only problem is that Nexremote itself stops responding. I'll try the real HC again next time. ("Computing expert" definitely does not describe me!) Thanks for all your help, Chris.

Kevin

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics