Are we turning the corner?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MEE

MEE

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:23 AM

So this article was featured on the Yahoo homepage; it seems to be linked from BobVila.com :

http://homes.yahoo.c...-173109263.html

Look at the 10 steps for better home security outlined near the end of the article. Look especially at #4:

"Install motion-controlled or infrared-controlled outdoor lighting. There is nothing more suspicious than a porch light left on from dusk to dawn over a long period of time."

It would have been nice for the author to mention that leaving a light on all night also wastes energy and money but it's nice to see that the above statement was made!

#2 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

It helps that a home improvement guru of Vila's stature is advising that dusk-to-dawn porch or yard lights are counterproductive for home security against burglars. At our neighborhood's semi-annual HOA meeting, I've tried to make this same argument about the merits of motion or infrared lights and the security downsides of all-night lights, but I find that with the folks I really need to convince, I'm working against a considerable headwind of long-established misinformation. Fortunately, there's no neighbors in the nearby vicinity of my yard who (so far) pose any significant problem with intrusive lights; I hope I hope I hope that continues.

I have noticed that an increasing percentage of businesses are installing more efficient shielded lighting for their parking lots, and not going so crazy with exterior building lighting. OTOH, unfortunately there are still too many architects and neighborhood-scale home developers in the thrall of the totally unshielded faux-gas globe lights that create hideously harsh, ugly glare-on-a-stick, even completely aside from their contribution to light pollution.

What really still has to change to "turn the corner" is for more people to come around to regarding intrusive light trespass in the same category as intrusive loud noise; most neighborhoods, if you cranked the amp on your music up to 11, before too long someone will request that you turn it down and if you don't, they'll call the cops to convince you to do so. Wish more folks would do the same for intrusive night lighting.

#3 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

Truthfully, all that outdoor lighting does is allow the burglers to see while they are breaking into your house......I much prefer to leave the yard dark...Bubba will gladly show prospective burglers around in the dark....

#4 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

Are we turning the corner?

No.

#5 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

So this article was featured on the Yahoo homepage; it seems to be linked from BobVila.com :

http://homes.yahoo.c...-173109263.html

Look at the 10 steps for better home security outlined near the end of the article. Look especially at #4:

"Install motion-controlled or infrared-controlled outdoor lighting. There is nothing more suspicious than a porch light left on from dusk to dawn over a long period of time."

It would have been nice for the author to mention that leaving a light on all night also wastes energy and money but it's nice to see that the above statement was made!

Dont get too upset as it was after all an article about home security and not LP or energy savings.

#6 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

Unfortunately, what ever corner I turn, there's a streetlight there......

#7 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

Few lights are as irritating as a megawatt rated porch or floodlight that dazzles all night long too.

Taras

#8 Illinois

Illinois

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

People think light is safe because they can see you also Burglers can see you and everything! Infrared light would be useful that turn on and we know someone is there!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics