Sightron Nano Tracker

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alliumfamily

alliumfamily

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:00 AM

Has anyone checked out the Sightron Nano Tracker? It was a a Sky & Telescope Hot Product for 2013. I want to order my tracker, but I'm torn between the Sightron Nano Tracker, StarTracker, and Polarie....

Any thoughts/opinions?

Thanks.

#2 cuivienor

cuivienor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo, Japan

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:16 AM

I have the NanoTracker, and was able to take 2-3 minute exposures with very little star trailing at around 35mm. I use a NEX-5 though so it was much less than the maximum load of 2kg.

To be honest, doing the polar alignment at first is a pain: the little hole it has is woefully inadequate - but in the end after a bit of effort (and an AltAz adjuster on my tripod head), it was aligned. Not the most comfortable experience though.

The tracking was as far as I could tell very good, and you can't really beat the portability of that little thing. An it's twice as cheap as the Polarie.

All in all, I am satisfied of that little tracker for my use!

Yannick

#3 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zurich Switzerland

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:38 AM

Hi there

You might read the following thread regarding my experience with the nano Tracker from Sightron:
http://www.cloudynig...5362945/page...

I find the small tracker quite decent for the price, the only downside is the subpar hole for polar alignment. This is why I added the alignment tool from the Vixen Polarie. ;)

best regards
Chris

#4 alliumfamily

alliumfamily

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

Thanks guys. I think its looking like the Star Tracker for me. The Nano sounds like too much trouble, and the Polarie requires too many extras ($$$) to work well. Any thoughts?

#5 andysea

andysea

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

wow I didn't know that Kenko made a little "star tracker" like device.
I own the skymemo and it's really good quality. I pushed it to 400mm unguided with good results. 200mm unguided is very easy.
Andy

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics