First time Antares split

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

Bagged it last night in very good seeing with my 6" Mak Newt. The companion was pale blue to my eyes.

It's never easy in S. Ontario with Antares barely making 15 degrees above the horizon. But seeing is MUCH more important than aperture for this pair. As a rule of thumb, if you can't see steady diffraction rings around the primary you won't glimpse the secondary.

Dave

#27 Jim_Smith

Jim_Smith

Vostok 1

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

Stubborn for me..120mm. Achr.f/8.3 ..40*n caught glimpses of it between 100-200x lower powers seemed best!? Frustratingly tough for me! Going to try my 150mm. S-c Jim

#28 ggalilei

ggalilei

Viking 1

• Loc: Kentucky

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

Rather low on the horizon here, 20-25 degrees. I tried with the TSA 102 last night and Traveler tonight but no luck. At 200-300x I can see an oblong blob of light - a localized thickening of a diffraction ring maybe - at the right PA, riding in front of Antares, but cannot really "see" the companion. Too much sparkle down there and just above the tree line.

#29 Jim_Smith

Jim_Smith

Vostok 1

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

got a snug blue dot on difraction ring at 200x(friend see's green) definate in and out split at 400x riding along couple diffraction rings (total 3-4 rings) using baader contrast booster filter..4.7 f/8.3 achromat..Jim :)

#30 Jim_Smith

Jim_Smith

Vostok 1

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

Drilled it with celestron c-6 se..at 500x blue bal inbetween 1st @ 2nd diffraction ring (total of four at this outrageous power) but it was sure!! Even though hazy skies. Jim:)

#31 Perigny270

Perigny270

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Temiscaming, Quebec

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:53 PM

Myself and other observers have tried UHC filters and have found out that some of them show a secondary reflection of a bright star which will make you think you split a double. I'd suggest you try the filter on a bright known single star and see what happens. I personally don't trust UHC filters for splitting doubles. Hopefully you've been able to split Antares.

Rich (RLTYS)

Several years ago, I saw the exact same thing Rich describes with my 8 inch reflector using a Baader UHC filter--I cant remember which star exactly but do remember it was one that had a very bright primary (such as Antares).

This double is tricky for me even with the 15 inch. Early in the night I can easily see the secondary at 200x or so, but then later in the night I cannot (when conditions should be better). Oddly enough, if the seeing is very good, I can see the companion quite clearly at 150x with the 8 inch. It seems sky conditions are the most important factor for Antares. I seem to recall most of my positive sightings happening at the end of twilight versus in the deep dark of late night--maybe that is the trick?

I did make a very preliminary finding recently using an off axis mask with my 15 to afford an unobstructed 6 inch telescope in which the secondary appeared a bit better to see due to overall dimming of the primary.

Try as I may, I have not been able to obtain a good image of the secondary in any scope with any combination of lenses or camera conditions. Antares is ridiculously difficult to photograph.

You should keep trying this one, though, as you will may see the companion when you least suspect it. :grin:

I replied earlier this evening but it seems to have disappeared. Most likely a missed key. If 2 replies appear, my apologies.
back to matter at hand: we finally got clear skies here while I'm home. Guess what - I resolved Arcturus (red and green) with my UHC filter and ED102. :o So Rich and Mark, you are right and thanks for the heads-up. And sorry Ralph (a later poster), you should take another look...
So I'll keep trying - Antares is tough at 48* latitude, but one day it will clear up enough. :)

#32 lionel

lionel

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Delaware

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:54 AM

Yup...good seeing is the key to getting a split at its low altitude, sort of a summer challenge equivalent of Sirius and the Pup. :)

I caught the greenish companion in a clean black space split on a night of rare good seeing (P7-P8) three weeks ago, using my 5" refractor at 257x. At 180x I still had a black line split. No filters needed.

Definitely the view of the night!

Lionel

#33 Perigny270

Perigny270

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Temiscaming, Quebec

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

Congratulations Lionel for the clean split. This is encouraging - I'll keep trying and one still, clear night I'll see it too. Thanks for the report. ;)

#34 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

I had a nice split a few years ago with my TEC 140. I used a 6mm ZAO-II (163x) and had a good 7P sky.

I pegged the B star with a greenish tint, but it is so close to the red giant, I couldn't be sure.

I'll have to try it again. :cool:

Ron

#35 rayden68

rayden68

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:58 PM

I got my first split of Antares on 3 July a very nice night cooler than normal. Using my new ES ar152 refractor at 197x. Using a 5mm af70 eyepiece from astro tech. My wife was out and thought it was beautiful.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics