Outdoor ad signs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:11 PM

Driving I-74 to Indianapolis the eye is confronted with probably hundreds of double-stack outdoor signs all lit by multiple floodlights from below.The interstate's own overhead signs are also lit from below.

Since any attempt to require down lights from the top of the structures are going to be fought based on the argument and reality that higher lights are more dangerous for the workers I doubt much can be done.

Am I wrong?

#2 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

Well, if the new 'shine down' lights were LEDs, they would use a lot less power, the brightness could be adjusted according to the traffic level, and they would need to be replaced far less frequently.

Of benefit to reducing LP, they would naturally be shielded.

#3 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

The outdoor advertising industry is taking steps to install systems on digital billboards that will adjust brightness to lower levels at night.

#4 richard7

richard7

Not Quite

• Moderators
  • Loc: Sacramento

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

Another thing that may be a problem with overhead lamps is more glare and eye fatigue on drivers.

#5 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: League City, TX

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

The outdoor advertising industry is taking steps to install systems on digital billboards that will adjust brightness to lower levels at night.

We have several of those around here. I find that at night they give off far less light pollution than the standard plaza lights. The car dealerships and all-night restaurant parking lot lights give off much more pollution than the digital billboards.

obin :)

#6 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

In my general area (NY’s “Southern Tier”, along the PA border) the Town of Vestal is the local ‘strip-mall capital’. They have banned digital signs, not for the LP issue, but because the town board considers them a distraction to drivers and thus a driving safety issue.

Unrelated to signs: The Vestal town board also banned lights on private windmill power generator towers. It’s my understanding that some residents complained that they were annoying.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics