Desperation or madness?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 caheaton

caheaton

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:46 PM

I went downstairs to let the dog out and noticed an opening (maybe a 20 minute hole) in the omnipresent clouds, so having my SLT mount and MAK handy (they were already in the corner from a rare observing session this past Wednesday), I did what any sane(?) man would do! :crazy:

After a quick one star align on Vega, I had a chance to take in Albireo (always beautiful), M56 (dim, ghostly blob) and M57 (best of the evening, tiny but a bright donut against a jet black sky with a smattering of stars using the 28mm RKE). Here's a photo of my session (note that the night is exceptionally damp as we had heavy rains earlier into the evening...humidity is 100%, but the meniscus stayed dry!)

Attached Files

#2 caheaton

caheaton

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:48 PM

And another shot taken in darkness (4 second hand held at iso 6400, f2.8) showing how bad the lp is from my back yard and the return of the infernal clouds!

Attached Files

#3 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

• Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:51 AM

Probably both but it's got to be done! :ubetcha:

#4 Kraus

Kraus

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. You'll heal.

#5 sg6

sg6

Viking 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. You'll heal.

If when letting the dog out he looks up and sees a small gap AND has the scope waiting ready set up in case, then sorry I disagree. He won't heal, it has gone too far. :help:

It is as said, both, you are a desperate madman. :jump:

Now me, I have 2 scope ready to be grabbed at a moments notice. One for the front and one for the back. :lol: :lol:

#6 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

I think the key is if the dog observed as well. Then, probably madness, otherwise, just par for the course....

Paul

#7 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

Desperatly Mad or Madly Desperate????

Ginger or MaryAnn?

#8 petrus45

petrus45

Mariner 2

• Loc: SW Ohio / N Ky.

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

I went downstairs to let the dog out and noticed an opening (maybe a 20 minute hole) in the omnipresent clouds, so having my SLT mount and MAK handy (they were already in the corner from a rare observing session this past Wednesday), I did what any sane(?) man would do! :crazy:

After a quick one star align on Vega, I had a chance to take in Albireo (always beautiful), M56 (dim, ghostly blob) and M57 (best of the evening, tiny but a bright donut against a jet black sky with a smattering of stars using the 28mm RKE). Here's a photo of my session (note that the night is exceptionally damp as we had heavy rains earlier into the evening...humidity is 100%, but the meniscus stayed dry!)

I'm also in SW Ohio and, verging on desperation (or madness) broke out the Z10 thinking there was a gap in the clouds. Got it out there, looked at Saturn, went back inside for maybe 15 min. and by the time I got back out we were under total cloud cover again. It was good exercise though, sort of like using the dob instead of a medicine ball, except it's tubular and metal and has a concave mirror at one end. You can also look through it sometimes, but I sort of forget why....

#9 petrus45

petrus45

Mariner 2

• Loc: SW Ohio / N Ky.

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

I'm also in SW Ohio and, verging on desperation (or madness) broke out the Z10 thinking there was a gap in the clouds. Got it out there, looked at Saturn, went back inside for maybe 15 min. and by the time I got back out we were under total cloud cover again. It was good exercise though, sort of like using the dob instead of a medicine ball, except it's tubular and metal and has a concave mirror at one end. You can also look through it sometimes, but I sort of forget why....

#10 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

If you seal off both ends, you could use it to practice your log rolling skills.... :lol:

#11 galexand

galexand

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bloomington Indiana

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

I bought new hardware (skyscanner 100) for the sole purpose of getting some action out of these little sucker holes. If it's madness, it's spreading! Heck, if it's desperation, it's spreading. :(

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics