CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ioptron IEQ 45 AZ GOTO Mount

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 barry j

barry j

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

Has anyone tried this new mount? It seems like everyone is jumping on the EQ/AZ dual mount bandwagon.
Barry

#2 germana1

germana1

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

I'm waiting on some reports too very interested in this mount also.
Pete

#3 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mendon, MA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

Paul (astronewb) bought one and provide a series of threads on the mount. astronewb's posts

#4 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

Paul (astronewb) bought one and provide a series of threads on the mount. astronewb's posts

Close John, but I don't have the alt/az version, although with the az conversion kit, it would qualify.

Cheers,

Paul

#5 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

oops! I messed up! sorry Paul. :-)

I confess to be confused about these newer products.

#6 dc_robert

dc_robert

Mariner 2

• Loc: Washington, DC

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

I recently got this mount, along with the iOptron PowerWeight (a portable power supply that also acts as a counterweight). The AZ version has a couple kinks that need to be worked out:

* The handset controller's firmware didn't come updated for AZ mode. It's not difficult to update the firmware, but...

* The mount comes only with RJ232 connectors and no USB. None of my computers has an RJ232 (aka serial) port, so I had to buy a USB-to-RJ232 converter.

Switching from GEQ to AZ mode isn't that difficult, fortunately. But having just updated the handset yesterday with the right firmware, I haven't yet properly tested the mount in AZ mode.

#7 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

I recently got this mount, along with the iOptron PowerWeight (a portable power supply that also acts as a counterweight). The AZ version has a couple kinks that need to be worked out:

* The handset controller's firmware didn't come updated for AZ mode. It's not difficult to update the firmware, but...

* The mount comes only with RJ232 connectors and no USB. None of my computers has an RJ232 (aka serial) port, so I had to buy a USB-to-RJ232 converter.

Switching from GEQ to AZ mode isn't that difficult, fortunately. But having just updated the handset yesterday with the right firmware, I haven't yet properly tested the mount in AZ mode.

If those are the only 2 issues, it looks pretty good. Most (all?) low and mid level mounts still have Serial ports rather than USB so I wouldn't even count that one as an issue. With the innovation seen from iOptron, I'm a bit surprised that they haven't moved to USB yet.

#8 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

If those are the only 2 issues, it looks pretty good. Most (all?) low and mid level mounts still have Serial ports rather than USB so I wouldn't even count that one as an issue. With the innovation seen from iOptron, I'm a bit surprised that they haven't moved to USB yet.

#9 dc_robert

dc_robert

Mariner 2

• Loc: Washington, DC

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

Here is a pic of the mount in AZ mode, btw.

As you can see, it comes with the pillar instead of the tripod.

Attached Files

#10 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

What strikes me most about this mount is its stated payload is considerably higher than the Synta EQ/AZ entry, which offers a payload on dual AZ mode of only 20 pounds per side, for several hundred dollars more than the iOptron.

#11 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

that is SLICK! I already have the Pier... I love Alt-Az for some stuff. Looks like a spiffy replacement for the MTII.

#12 johnpd

johnpd

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:07 AM

What strikes me most about this mount is its stated payload is considerably higher than the Synta EQ/AZ entry, which offers a payload on dual AZ mode of only 20 pounds per side, for several hundred dollars more than the iOptron.

I think you may have misread the specs on the Synta AZ-EQ6. It states a payload of 20kg (~44 lbs) excluding counterweights. That means it could handle 40+ lbs per side (~88 lbs in total).

JohnD

#13 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

You are right John, I stand corrected!

#14 Bluejay08

Bluejay08

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

Yes, USB is convenient. Actually, ioptron's MiniTower and Cube mounts are among the first using USB cables for computer control. I still remember when one tried to use a iPhone to control the MiniTower via WiFi, the adapter from Orion only had serial port at the time.

For USB 2.0 standard, the maximum cable length is 5 meter, I think. When using a RS232 cable, it can be up to 15 meter at 9600 bps. If you want to control a mount from a distant computer, it may run into difficulty with a USB port.

My limited knowledge about the ASCOM also indicates that the command sent to the mount is still in a serial format. So there is a need for a USB to Serial converter anyway, integrated or external.

Jay

#15 leveye

leveye

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Oregon Coast

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

Such a great looking rig congrats!!

I have over 65 feet run to my Zmount using USB 2.0 and repeater cables every 15 feet no issues at all.

#16 Bluejay08

Bluejay08

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

Of cause it can go longer with repeaters.

Jay

#17 SteveGR

SteveGR

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

Don't feel bad! Unit conversion mistakes are common, and it's not like you crashed a probe into Mars... :)

#18 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:46 AM

that is SLICK! I already have the Pier... I love Alt-Az for some stuff. Looks like a spiffy replacement for the MTII.

Inadditon to this mount, iOptron also came out with an upgrade kit to convert the iEQ45 to the Alt-Az mode via additional hardware changes plus firmware changes to the handset.

I started the conversion last week and ran out of time to complete to view this weekend. I very much appreciate the Alt-Az mode for observation, it's easier to make those initial positioning, as well as providing a second mount point for an additional scope :D I like the 10"SCT narrow angle view with a 3-5" refractors for wide angle view.

Good stuff!

#19 rkayakr

rkayakr

Viking 1

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

John
Let us know how the conversion goes.
Did you have to remove the polar scope to do the conversion?

#20 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

@rkayakr, FINALLY finished my conversion, had a setback when my hand controller died. what I love most about it is being able to mount my Meade 10"ACF and my 6" Achro; that's 28+28lbs :-)

Yes, you do remove the polar scope, there is no need to keep it. You just have to ensure its level, and oriented to East.

#21 rkayakr

rkayakr

Viking 1

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

John
Wow 2 x 28 lbs. You sound like a happy camper.
My issue with the polar scope is that I would like to go back and forth between the styles. Reinstalling the polar scope would add the effort of recalibrating when you go back to EG style.

#22 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

Oh! Good thing you mentioned it. Reinstalling the Polar scope isn't a problem compared to the rest of the changing; there is a lot of loose hardware with all the knurled bolts and spacers. This what I was hoping the LX80 would have been like.

Here's the result:

Posted Image

I just noticed it obscured the mount, here's another angle. All the images from the other side are fuzzy. I can post some close ups later.
Posted Image

Oh... Yeah, I get what you mean about the polar scope. I haven't moved mine since I had it setup last. Yeah, alignment is always a hoot :-)

#23 rkayakr

rkayakr

Viking 1

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:17 PM

Nice mount setup and beautiful observatory!

#24 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:19 PM

TY! It almost keeps me out of trouble :-)

The iEQ45 was my favorite mount but the Alt-Az kit came out and now it's even MORE of a favorite with this new functionality. I vastly prefer Alt-AZ to GEM for visuals and with this tonnage of carrying capability I'm totally wowed!

Btw, I lucked out that these two scopes happened to be the same weight!

#25 Moromete

Moromete

Viking 1

• Loc: Romania

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:48 PM

Very nice to have in parallel a 10" SCT and a 6" achro!

How do you put the same object in the eyepieces of both OTAs in the same time with IEQ45 AZ?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics