Ioptron IEQ 45 AZ GOTO Mount

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 barry j

barry j

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

Has anyone tried this new mount? It seems like everyone is jumping on the EQ/AZ dual mount bandwagon.
Barry

#2 germana1

germana1

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

I'm waiting on some reports too very interested in this mount also.
Pete

#3 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mendon, MA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

Paul (astronewb) bought one and provide a series of threads on the mount. astronewb's posts

#4 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

Paul (astronewb) bought one and provide a series of threads on the mount. astronewb's posts

Close John, but I don't have the alt/az version, although with the az conversion kit, it would qualify.

Cheers,

Paul

#5 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

oops! I messed up! sorry Paul. :-)

I confess to be confused about these newer products.

#6 dc_robert

dc_robert

Mariner 2

• Loc: Washington, DC

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

I recently got this mount, along with the iOptron PowerWeight (a portable power supply that also acts as a counterweight). The AZ version has a couple kinks that need to be worked out:

* The handset controller's firmware didn't come updated for AZ mode. It's not difficult to update the firmware, but...

* The mount comes only with RJ232 connectors and no USB. None of my computers has an RJ232 (aka serial) port, so I had to buy a USB-to-RJ232 converter.

Switching from GEQ to AZ mode isn't that difficult, fortunately. But having just updated the handset yesterday with the right firmware, I haven't yet properly tested the mount in AZ mode.

#7 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

I recently got this mount, along with the iOptron PowerWeight (a portable power supply that also acts as a counterweight). The AZ version has a couple kinks that need to be worked out:

* The handset controller's firmware didn't come updated for AZ mode. It's not difficult to update the firmware, but...

* The mount comes only with RJ232 connectors and no USB. None of my computers has an RJ232 (aka serial) port, so I had to buy a USB-to-RJ232 converter.

Switching from GEQ to AZ mode isn't that difficult, fortunately. But having just updated the handset yesterday with the right firmware, I haven't yet properly tested the mount in AZ mode.

If those are the only 2 issues, it looks pretty good. Most (all?) low and mid level mounts still have Serial ports rather than USB so I wouldn't even count that one as an issue. With the innovation seen from iOptron, I'm a bit surprised that they haven't moved to USB yet.

#8 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

If those are the only 2 issues, it looks pretty good. Most (all?) low and mid level mounts still have Serial ports rather than USB so I wouldn't even count that one as an issue. With the innovation seen from iOptron, I'm a bit surprised that they haven't moved to USB yet.

#9 dc_robert

dc_robert

Mariner 2

• Loc: Washington, DC

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

Here is a pic of the mount in AZ mode, btw.

As you can see, it comes with the pillar instead of the tripod.

Attached Files

#10 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

What strikes me most about this mount is its stated payload is considerably higher than the Synta EQ/AZ entry, which offers a payload on dual AZ mode of only 20 pounds per side, for several hundred dollars more than the iOptron.

#11 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

that is SLICK! I already have the Pier... I love Alt-Az for some stuff. Looks like a spiffy replacement for the MTII.

#12 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:07 AM

What strikes me most about this mount is its stated payload is considerably higher than the Synta EQ/AZ entry, which offers a payload on dual AZ mode of only 20 pounds per side, for several hundred dollars more than the iOptron.

I think you may have misread the specs on the Synta AZ-EQ6. It states a payload of 20kg (~44 lbs) excluding counterweights. That means it could handle 40+ lbs per side (~88 lbs in total).

JohnD

#13 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

You are right John, I stand corrected!

#14 Bluejay08

Bluejay08

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

Yes, USB is convenient. Actually, ioptron's MiniTower and Cube mounts are among the first using USB cables for computer control. I still remember when one tried to use a iPhone to control the MiniTower via WiFi, the adapter from Orion only had serial port at the time.

For USB 2.0 standard, the maximum cable length is 5 meter, I think. When using a RS232 cable, it can be up to 15 meter at 9600 bps. If you want to control a mount from a distant computer, it may run into difficulty with a USB port.

My limited knowledge about the ASCOM also indicates that the command sent to the mount is still in a serial format. So there is a need for a USB to Serial converter anyway, integrated or external.

Jay

#15 leveye

leveye

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon Coast

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

Such a great looking rig congrats!!

I have over 65 feet run to my Zmount using USB 2.0 and repeater cables every 15 feet no issues at all.

#16 Bluejay08

Bluejay08

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

Of cause it can go longer with repeaters.

Jay

#17 SteveGR

SteveGR

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

Don't feel bad! Unit conversion mistakes are common, and it's not like you crashed a probe into Mars... :)

#18 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:46 AM

that is SLICK! I already have the Pier... I love Alt-Az for some stuff. Looks like a spiffy replacement for the MTII.

Inadditon to this mount, iOptron also came out with an upgrade kit to convert the iEQ45 to the Alt-Az mode via additional hardware changes plus firmware changes to the handset.

I started the conversion last week and ran out of time to complete to view this weekend. I very much appreciate the Alt-Az mode for observation, it's easier to make those initial positioning, as well as providing a second mount point for an additional scope :D I like the 10"SCT narrow angle view with a 3-5" refractors for wide angle view.

Good stuff!

#19 rkayakr

rkayakr

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

John
Let us know how the conversion goes.
Did you have to remove the polar scope to do the conversion?

#20 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

@rkayakr, FINALLY finished my conversion, had a setback when my hand controller died. what I love most about it is being able to mount my Meade 10"ACF and my 6" Achro; that's 28+28lbs :-)

Yes, you do remove the polar scope, there is no need to keep it. You just have to ensure its level, and oriented to East.

#21 rkayakr

rkayakr

Ranger 4

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

John
Wow 2 x 28 lbs. You sound like a happy camper.
My issue with the polar scope is that I would like to go back and forth between the styles. Reinstalling the polar scope would add the effort of recalibrating when you go back to EG style.

#22 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

Oh! Good thing you mentioned it. Reinstalling the Polar scope isn't a problem compared to the rest of the changing; there is a lot of loose hardware with all the knurled bolts and spacers. This what I was hoping the LX80 would have been like.

Here's the result:

Posted Image

I just noticed it obscured the mount, here's another angle. All the images from the other side are fuzzy. I can post some close ups later.
Posted Image

Oh... Yeah, I get what you mean about the polar scope. I haven't moved mine since I had it setup last. Yeah, alignment is always a hoot :-)

#23 rkayakr

rkayakr

Ranger 4

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:17 PM

Nice mount setup and beautiful observatory!

#24 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:19 PM

TY! It almost keeps me out of trouble :-)

The iEQ45 was my favorite mount but the Alt-Az kit came out and now it's even MORE of a favorite with this new functionality. I vastly prefer Alt-AZ to GEM for visuals and with this tonnage of carrying capability I'm totally wowed!

Btw, I lucked out that these two scopes happened to be the same weight!

#25 Moromete

Moromete

Viking 1

• Loc: Romania

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:48 PM

Very nice to have in parallel a 10" SCT and a 6" achro!

How do you put the same object in the eyepieces of both OTAs in the same time with IEQ45 AZ?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics