Celestron Outland X 8x42

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Koala117

Koala117

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

Well, it looks like I've got a new pair of 8x42 binoculars on the way to me: http://tinyurl.com/kkwcstj

They were gonna be a gift, buuuuuut the intended recipient already bought a pair of his own, I've been told by his mother after I ordered them! :o

So, instead of sending them back, I might as well keep them. I figure if I can afford them as a gift, I can afford them for myself, even if just barely. \o/

I went with the 8x42 as they were in my price range at $55.95 and my goal was under $60 and these were the best I could find with the eye relief that the Sticky posts above suggested for a person that wears glasses. Which is good, in the end, as I also wear glasses! On the Celestron website, they're $79.95 and up to around $100 from other ebay vendors, so I thought saving at least ~25 seemed good. I did find this video which basically just shows them off a bit with nice, up close shots: http://youtu.be/aE1cIIwvO6Q

I like the idea of possible tripod use in the future if I struggle holding them up for long, as well as the twist-up eye cups(which will take some practice to figure out for me how to best use them, I think :p).

Anyway, I wanted to ask: In addition to giving Birding a shot with these, What kinds of things should I be attempting to see with these in the nights sky? I've read that lots of people like the 42mm as a good birding/astro, but not found specifically what they like to view at night! Or what's really feasable with 42mm at night, for that matter. I reckon these would be good for nights when I only have a small amount of time for observing and am curious how those that might also own a 42mm binocular utilize them? =) :bow:

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

Anyway, I wanted to ask: In addition to giving Birding a shot with these, What kinds of things should I be attempting to see with these in the nights sky? I've read that lots of people like the 42mm as a good birding/astro, but not found specifically what they like to view at night! Or what's really feasable with 42mm at night, for that matter. I reckon these would be good for nights when I only have a small amount of time for observing and am curious how those that might also own a 42mm binocular utilize them? =)

Those 8x42s should provide some nice views of the night sky. Summer is coming and with it, the Summer Milkyway that stretches across from Scorpius and Sagittarius all the way to Cynus and beyond.

I like to look at clusters, open clusters like M6-M7, M23, the Wild Duck Cluster M11... It's probably too far south but the northern Jewel box, NGC6231 is a favorite. M8 is a cluster-nebula. M17 is the Swan Nebula.. NGC-6633 is another favorite as is the nearby IC 4665.

Then there are the globulars, right now there's M13, M5 and M3 visible...

M27, the dumbbell nebula is another nice object in binos.

The combination of the binoculars and the telescope is a good one, you seem something interesting that you can't quite make out in the binoculars, you move over to the scope to investigate.

Jon

#3 Koala117

Koala117

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

Those sound like some really great ideas, Jon! I'll definitely mark those down for some goals to find in the sky. :D I'm glad you replied, because my brain had temporarily forgotten about globular clusters. It'll be tempting to cheat and look for them in my scope while the binos are shipping, but.. it's clear tonight so I think my refractor and Saturn are calling my name!

In fact, aside from the Canadian border, most of the whole US is looking good on satellite images right now! \o/

I sure hope I'm able to get enough focus adjustment out of these 8x42s that I won't need my glasses, though. I much prefer not using glasses so I can have binos right up to my face, in the few times I've used other peoples. It just feels more comfortable to me.

Mike

#4 Koala117

Koala117

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

Well, the 8x42s arrived today!

Aaaaaaand, wouldn't you just know it, it literally clouded up within 20 minutes of the bino's arrival. =(

I did take them outside for just a bit, pointed them at a far-away tree to focus both eyes. Seems quite nice! Heck, I even followed a bird that was fluttering around above the tree(it was small. Forgive me but i can't tell its name. birding is something I intend to learn with these binos! :p)

I'll do up a mini-review once it gets not cloudy outside at night. I think it's the only polite thing to do, considering all the wonderful help I've gotten to my questions and even knowledge from reading other's questions! If it ever clears up at night, that is... /table flip

You know, I was under the impression that only telescopes were called 'rain-makers!'

Mike

#5 kirstentoh

kirstentoh

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

Hi, have u had a chance to try it out....? Is it any good for astronomy? Am considering it.

#6 Koala117

Koala117

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:44 AM

Oh, dear! It seems I am a bit late in replying to your question, kirstentoh. Apologies for this. =(

Sadly, I am not able to provide a lot of info for you, just yet. I went out for about 15 minutes, two hours ago, as it is the first clear night I have had in at least a week! And, would you not just know it? I can look straight up and see a few stars, but, everything else is hidden because FOG. >.< Even the stars that were straight up were barely visible because of the fog. So, I did not even bother trying very hard. I saw your post a little before heading out and wanted to at least be able to provide you with something useful about night-time viewing. Alas, it was not meant to be just yet.

You may be asking, 'But, Mike... you've had these for over one month! How come you have not looked through them at night?!'

Well... I have. It is just that my hands are far too shaky to let these binos be of any use at night. In the day, it seems much easier and I thought I would have no problem at all at night. The thing is, stars are just tiny little dots and ANY movement ruins the viewing. So, I had been waiting until I got a cheap tripod and a bino tripod adapter. Those arrived only on Friday, July 5th and the weather has sucked since then. The grass was also wet and mosquitoes are annoying. It does not look like things will improve in the next few days, either.

I have had a few, very short moments of none-shaky hands during the times I have tried. However, I just do not feel comfortable advising someone on how to spend their money regarding a product that I have not yet been able to properly test out for at least a couple of hours.

I do intend to do a little write-up about them, eventually(noobish as I might be, at least there would be *something* out there for others to read about these binos, as I had not been able to find anything about them before I purchased).

Again, apologies for the long response and little amount of useful info. Believe me, no one more than myself wants to have the full details about these nice little guys!

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics