Piggy backing your SCT?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mike in Tampa

Mike in Tampa

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

besides the coolness factor of having a refractor piggybacking on your SCT, what are some of the advantages to this setup?

#2 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

Setting aside AP applications, the refractor gives you a wide field view as opposed to the SCT "through a soda straw" one. It is also fun to compare the different light gathering power and resolution of the two scopes. Perhaps best of all is for outreach -- you double the available eyepieces for folks. One of my favorite things to do at an outreach event is to piggyback my TMB92L atop the CPC1100 and go to the moon. I first invite visitors to take a gander at Luna in full through the refractor, which usually elicits an "oh wow" comment. Then I offer them a close up view through the big SCT with the Pentax XW7 in the diagonal, which gives them a view of perhaps one-eighth of the moon, and which tends to bring out the "Holy moly Harry you gotta see this!" exclamations.

Of course you are also right . . . a piggyback refractor does look ultra cool.

#3 zippeee

zippeee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:57 PM

I used to have my Raptor piggybacked until I got a different mount for it. Now I have my LS80 in those rings, it's nice to have H-alpha and whitelight . . . just pick your eyepiece.

Posted Image

#4 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW Florida

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

Use a CPC-800 and PST this way, works great for outreach!
(Have to properly counterweight it though!)
Brian

#5 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

CPC800 with a Stellarvue 80mm piggybacked. Wide field views thru the 80. With the Stellarvue 60 finder I have you can guide using it and use both the SCT and 80 for Astro photography. Balance is critical so a counterweight system is needed. My set up is pier mounted on a wedge in my Obs. I admire folks who put up and take down their scopes, I did it for a year using a scope buggy and found that it stole some of the joy to have to work so hard at it. Built the Obs and easily tripled the time I spend at the scope.

#6 Arizona-Ken

Arizona-Ken

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, Arizona

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

I share Mike's views on the subject and the "coolness" factor. In my case, I have a SV80 Raptor mounted on my CPC1100. I use my setup for DSO hunting and enjoy the difference in views in having a galaxy "in context" in a larger view and then zero in on details with the CPC1100. Best of both worlds.

Arizona Ken

#7 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

I no longer do any piggy backing but the rail is very handy to slap the laser finder up on to show the public what the scope is looking at.

They are usually impressed that it shows an empty bit of sky to the naked eye. :)

#8 Mogster

Mogster

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Manchester, England

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

For visual useI'd rather have the second scope on its own mount. I found that my ED80 got in the way on top of my 9.25 and the viewing position wasn't great. I found mounting and in mounting it to heft the CPC was a bit of a drag also.

It does look cool though.

#9 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

For visual useI'd rather have the second scope on its own mount. I found that my ED80 got in the way on top of my 9.25 and the viewing position wasn't great. I found mounting and in mounting it to heft the CPC was a bit of a drag also.

It does look cool though.

I mount my SV80 towards the front, and put the diagonal to the side to avoid interfering with the main scope (11" NSGPS). It's actually quite interesting to me to first observe the wide view and then the much more magnified view through the SCT. It also provides a means to view larger targets and open clusters that are simply not practical through the F10 SCT.

It's also so much easier than having to set up two mounts. YMMV.

Stacy

#10 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

When I had my CPC1100 I mounted my ST80 to it. It gave my a nice wide field view of DSOs and acted as a finder for those nights where I didn't find stuff to easily. But being from a white white zone, the f/5-ness really brightened the background. Also, you have to get counter weighting systems, most likely, so keep that in mind. Also an increase in height which could make it uncomfortable to use. I tried the same on my 14" GEM mounted SCT and gave up because of the added time to set up, extra weight ergo extra counter weights, pain to balance, and just too high to use at some points. But I really liked it on my CPC1100.
Bob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics