EQ8's Land in Oz

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

It looks significantly different in the diagrams and images I have seen. I am in exactly the same position as you and contacted Dan to discuss the issue. He is willing to work with EQ-8 owners to develop a new adapter plate if necessary (and I think it will be), with the customers providing pictures, traces, measurements or whatever. Seemed like a good approach to me. Since you guys in Canada are getting these before we see any kind of release from Orion (if there is one!) you might want to drop the man a line.

Clear Skies,
Brian

#52 Coastal

Coastal

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver island, Canada

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

On an Australian forum (despite having a relatively small population they have fantastic online communities for almost every subject) it was noted that a larger centre bolt was needed to secure the mount. That is, it -may- be possible to drill a larger hole in the EQ6 plate and together with a different bolt attach it to an EQ8 mount. My local (well Vancouver) SW dealer has sold a few EQ8s already and I think I might put an order in. I just wish there were a few more reports. If/when I receive it I definitely plan on sharing the details with Dan.

#53 Tandum

Tandum

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:43 AM

The bottom of the head is flat, the central bolt is the same as the eq6, standard M12 bolt. The pin is on the opposite side to the eq6 and 54mm from the center. There are two 8mm locating/lock down bolts 80mm from the center to the east and west.

I modified my eq6 pier myself without issue.

Drawings of the top of the tripod are in this manual :-
http://www.firstligh..._eq8_manual.pdf

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics