Photo

How do you use your classic telescope(s)?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 fjs

fjs

Apollo

• Loc: Olympic Peninsula, USA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

I am curious to see how members are using their classics.

I am not taking a survey, or giving an exam (1.a, 2.c, 3.d). My questions are only guidelines for where my curiosity lies. The "answers" are also only meant to serve as examples. I only used this format for the sake of clarity. Feel free to answer any, all, or none of the questions. Even make up your own. Also, if you have many classics, just adapt your comments as you wish. For those with a lot of spare words in your heads: I encourage you flesh out your replies to your hearts content. Hope you have fun!

1. How often do you use your classic; compared to newer scopes?

a. exclusively, I don't have any newer scopes

b. mostly, it is just more fun, works better, or is easier to use

c. about the same, it depends on what I want to look at

d. occasionally, I just take it out once in a while for fun my newer scope works better/is easier to use/etc

e. I think it's in the attic somewhere

2. How do you use your classic?

a. mainly for planetary, lunar, and/or double stars

b. mostly for deep sky

c. solar

d. terrestrial

e. no real one category over another

f. it keeps the wind from blowing the door shut (I finally went in the attic and found it)

3. How did you get started with your classic?

a. I bought/was given a new telescope long ago, now it's a classic

b. I always wanted one as a child, now I can afford it

c. I couldn't find a modern scope that performed/looked/functioned the way I wanted

d. I collect a lot of things, old telescopes are cool

e. Well... you see, it's like this. I was unloading my car after a weekend fishing trip. My net accidentally strayed over the fence into Clint (Caveman) Whitmans yard when a mint Unitron 114 just fell from the sky; right into it. I've been "hooked" ever since!

Thanks for participating.

#2 mustgobigger

mustgobigger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

All of the above... :lol:

Attached Files

#3 bob midiri

bob midiri

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: pa 19320

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

I am curious to see how members are using their classics.

I am not taking a survey, or giving an exam (1.a, 2.c, 3.d). My questions are only guidelines for where my curiosity lies. The "answers" are also only meant to serve as examples. I only used this format for the sake of clarity. Feel free to answer any, all, or none of the questions. Even make up your own. Also, if you have many classics, just adapt your comments as you wish. For those with a lot of spare words in your heads: I encourage you flesh out your replies to your hearts content. Hope you have fun!

a. exclusively, I don't have any newer scopes

b. mostly, it is just more fun, works better, or is easier to use

d. occasionally, I just take it out once in a while for fun my newer scope works better/is easier to use/etc

e. I think it's in the attic somewhere

b. mostly for deep sky

c. solar

d. terrestrial

f. it keeps the wind from blowing the door shut (I finally went in the attic and found it)

c. I couldn't find a modern scope that performed/looked/functioned the way I wanted

e. Well... you see, it's like this. I was unloading my car after a weekend fishing trip. My net accidentally strayed over the fence into Clint (Caveman) Whitmans yard when a mint Unitron 114 just fell from the sky; right into it. I've been "hooked" ever since!

Thanks for participating.

I love my classics, have a few of them but the one I use the most (more then any of my scopes) is my Classic Orange C14. mainly because it is just more fun, works better, is easier to use, and the optics and mechanics are just spectacular. Its an observatory in one telescope. Its a great planetary scope and phenomenal deep-sky scope. The image scale is large and contrasty using comfortable ultra widefield eyepieces. M13 last night was so spectacular thru the C14 using an ES 100 degree 14mm eyepiece. The scope excels at anything I have used it for. If I had to just have one scope, this would be it. I forgot the third. Always dreamed of having this when I was young, now I have it cause I could now afford it...used.

Attached Files

#4 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

1.- b in winter but c in summer.
2.- a and c
3.- a and b

#5 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

Fun survey! Here are my answers.

1: A mix of b and C.

2: I'll go with e in this one, as it depends on the scope, so I guess I cover all the bases.

3: I'd say b in the case of the Zeiss Telemator. And d, of course. Old telescopes are cool! :cool:

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#6 Sasa

Sasa

Viking 1

• Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

1: b (easiness of use depends on scope)
2: a, b, c
3: mixture of b, c, d

#7 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

1: B or C
2: A
3: A and maybe D

#8 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

1: b and/or c
2: a and b
3: a and b

#9 xavier

xavier

Messenger

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:02 AM

Great poll, Frank.
My answers
1c
2e
3abd

There are two mounts in my observatory: a classic one with classic scopes (Polarex and Intes) and a modern one with modern scopes (TEC, TMB and Celestron).

Last night it was clear and it's fun to compare the views in different scopes and eyepieces. Looking for the best combination of scope and object.
For example what is the minimum aperture needed to split the Double Double in Lyra.
Could do it with a 75mm Polarex. Not possible in the 60mm.
The best views with the TEC140 and a 4mm ortho Circle T.
Observing M57 in the different scopes gives another view of the object.
Each scope has it own "character".

Attached Files

#10 R Botero

R Botero

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:33 AM

Great poll Frank

My take:

1. C
2. A & C
3. B

Cheers

Roberto

#11 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:36 AM

1 - very often, but mostly after lunch or at least a couple cups of coffee.
2 - not always, but when she asks I usually do so because she's the boss.
3 - it depends if there's any benefit involved. I really didn't have a choice in the matter.

Oh Wait! You mean classic telescope?

Nevermind!

#12 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

1: b (my "new" telescopes, the AT6RC and M606 are for imaging, the Towa 80mm and C8 are the visual scopes! :))
2: a & b (but c sounds like a good idea!)
3: a-ish (my father is who got the Tasco 4.5" newt, I just found it in the basement and used it until it slowly became *my* scope)

#13 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:54 AM

1 - very often, but mostly after lunch or at least a couple cups of coffee.
2 - not always, but when she asks I usually do so because she's the boss.
3 - it depends if there's any benefit involved. I really didn't have a choice in the matter.

Oh Wait! You mean classic telescope?

Nevermind!

:roflmao:

#14 Gil V

Gil V

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:28 AM

I use my classic SCT almost all the time. I have two other scopes, both newtonians, but the cat is easier to set up and more comfortable to observe with. A permanent tripod in the yard helps. I'll use one of the other scopes 2-3 times a year.

I use the classic for everything.

My reason for owning a classic is - I used to make them!

#15 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:46 AM

Interesting questions..

How often do you use your classic; compared to newer scopes?

I enjoy my older scopes but my newer stuff is more capable and in for inch, easier to use and more versatile.

My classic scopes are kept at home in the city where the seeing is good but the skies are bright. I do look at DSOs with my classics but they are better suited for double stars and the planets.

I enjoy deep sky from dark skies and we have our own little hideaway where the skies are generally dark and clear. The reality is that my "modern" scopes are better suited for observing the deep sky objects they way I like to observe them. Small, fast refractors, large to very large Dobs.. alt-az mounts, hand tracking.

It's a little of both. I do collect things.. I'll buy pretty much any decent telescope, new or old, that's a bargain. If I like it, I keep it, if I don't like it, I'll find it a home with someone who does.

So, I have purchased a number of old scopes, the ones I still have are ones the ones I liked. These days the numbers are diminishing, the scopes that I like but don't use, I find them a home where they will be appreciated and used.

Jon

#16 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

I choose the scope based on :

is my back bothering me?(if so,smaller scope is better)

is there a bright Moon? (if so,faint fuzzy hunting may be frustrating)

what am I wanting to view? (splitting common doubles doesn't require the big scope but looking for dim objects does)

Classic scopes probably get 10-20% of my viewing time.

#17 rguasto

rguasto

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

My classic (dynascope) is my main scope. Its 52 years old and used at least 100 nights a year. It was given to us by a friend when her father passed. It was our first "real" telescope. We do not want nor need another (our C6 is for travel either locally or vacation)
-Rob

#18 fjs

fjs

Apollo

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:06 AM

A little late in getting to this. Thanks to all for answering my questions. While the responses seemed to cluster around a somewhat narrow band, I was quite surprised by the wide range they covered.

I enjoyed reading about all of your adventures with classic telescopes. Once again, thank you very much.

While I would rather not single out any individual post for fear of any hurt feelings by those not mentioned, I feel I have to make an exception in the case of the responses given by Dan (Datapanic): :4

In my case I guess I consider the AP modern and the Tasco a classic, but which one I use depends either on what I want to look at, or which telescope I want to use.

The Tasco gets used for lunar, planetary, and double stars. I am considering the "Messier challenge" however.

While I do like old classic things, my reason for buying an old telescope was not finding what I was looking for in new products. It appears that 4" is the minimum diameter anyone builds a high quality long focus refractor.

#19 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: VA

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

1. How often do you use your classic; compared to newer scopes? Mostly the new Cave I found and an older porta ball.

a. exclusively, I don't have any newer scopes Only new scope I have is a Vixen NA120.

b. mostly, it is just more fun, works better, or is easier to use. THe all offer a variaty of features. I must admit a scope that tracks is the most fun to use.

c. about the same, it depends on what I want to look at. Not all scope are desogned for the same task so it does vary.

d. occasionally, I just take it out once in a while for fun my newer scope works better/is easier to use/etc. Like I stated as long as it tracks I do not care which scope i use.

e. I think it's in the attic somewhere. Do not store scopes in the attic.

2. How do you use your classic? To spy on my neigbors :lol:seriously, mainly to look at planets.

a. mainly for planetary, lunar, and/or double stars. See above

b. mostly for deep sky

c. solar

d. terrestrial

3. How did you get started with your classic? By a friend next door who had a scope that is now considered a classic

Yes they are. Anyome here can tell me if ever have found a modern mount that looked as good as an old classic mount. I do mean the really nice classic mounts.
e. Well... you see, it's like this. I was unloading my car after a weekend fishing trip. My net accidentally strayed over the fence into Clint (Caveman) Whitmans yard when a mint Unitron 114 just fell from the sky; right into it. I've been "hooked" ever since! That is funny

#20 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

#21 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

At the moment, been using the 6" F10 Jaegers. I doesn't have cool down issues, optics are very good, it rocks on Saturn and Globular clusters. My C11 is pretty good, Had an issue with collimation. Like to use my 6"F8 homebrew newt.
Least favorite??? Sears 6339. No easy way to get a larger FOV.
and I prefer my Jaegers 3" F15 and Vixen A80Mwt

#22 Happy-Idiot

Happy-Idiot

Stuck with it

• Loc: 3rd Rock

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

I pretty much voted exactly as Jon Issacs voted. The question that interested me most was

Question 1. How often do you use your classic; compared to newer scopes?I answered

Here in this OLD POST I mentioned why I like to collect old classics. We all have our reasons, there is no right or wrong answer in regards to the forum just a right answer for you. :)

Great thread I wish more members would take the poll.

#23 fjs

fjs

Apollo

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

OLD POST

Great read. Thanks

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics