Photo

Any Tristand owner want to check something for me?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central Ct

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

Can you remove the head rotation locking knob and look in the hole and see if there is a plastic or maybe brass pc that keeps the bolt from marring the aluminum when locked. I just a got a real nice used one. When I took it apart for greasing I was surprised that the stainless steel lock bolt appears to just tighten against the aluminum.

#2 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

Mine is the same as yours. The part that it locks to will never be seen until you take it apart. The three locking screws for holding the head on also lock the same way.

Bill

#3 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

Thanks for checking, seems a bit crude compared to the rest of the design, the lock screw hits half on, half off the recess machined for the gear rack.

#4 ColoHank

ColoHank

Vanguard

• Loc: western Colorado

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

What's to keep you from bonding thin little pieces of leather or plastic to the end of the set screws to serve as cushions?

#5 Michael Lomb

Michael Lomb

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Island New Zealand

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

I don't have a Tristand, but for what it is worth, here is a suggestion. What came to mind was to go to shop that sells kitchen supplies. You can purchase very thin flexible cutting boards one mm thick, easily cut to shape with scissors. You should be able to make round washers the bolt could fit through separating the metal surfaces. 

#6 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I machined up a small brass cylinder. It had to have some length to it, as there is a gap between the two pieces that lock. Probably over kill, but make me happier:)

#7 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

Be very careful that it is long enough so it will not angle to the side due to the space and lock up the head. You will have major problems in removing it from the screw shaft if this happens. It also may get caught on the female threads and get stuck. Parts may also drop into the gear rack. I would leave it alone (it was designed this way for a reason). You have many metal to metal contact points on the head assembly and they have worked for years without a problem. FJR designed and made all Tri-Stands for years and the orginal owner of FJR was very careful. Questar now makes some of the Tri-Stands (still sub-contracts them, also) since they were purchased by a CNC company and they have not changed the design.

Bill

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics