Improving Polar Alignment Adjuster Mechanics

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

I would echo the advice for the plastic milk/water jug idea. I bought a 1 gallon 99c water gallon... Used the water to make coffee and water some plants, then proceeded to cut a rough circle, brought it to the CGEM mount head attachment, cut out the center hole and cut a notch for the alignment peg. Then i sprayed it with WD40.

Works like a charm. No need to loosed the attachment bolt, you can keep it tight. Alt-AZ adjustment is easy.

Total cost 99c

:roflmao:
Al

#27 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melmac

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

The CGE uses an internal adjustment mechanism whose problem is the very coarse adjustment mechanism itself as opposed to two painted metal plate rubbing together. No at all the same problem as a CGEM or Atlas mount and cannot be solved in the same manner.

I think it is a universal problem with all mounts that have azimuth bolts including the AP900/1200. I believe the Paramount MX/ME II mounts are exception. They don’t have azimuth bolts.

#28 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

Just as a followup...I added a layer of Slick Strips, available at Woodcraft, to the top of my pier plate and that pretty much solved my problem with polar aligning in the azimuth direction. I did not have to loosen the center bolt and I could still move the mount using the two azimuth knobs.
The polar align routine went from a 10 minute ordeal to a 60 second operation.

:thewave: :waytogo:

Thanks for the inputs!

Patrick

#29 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

Excellent! Thanks for the link. I'm going to try those too. :)

#30 Stargazer78

Stargazer78

Viking 1

• Loc: Susanville California

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:23 PM

Where exactly did you install these at? Looks like I am having the same problem.

#31 Stargazer78

Stargazer78

Viking 1

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:51 AM

Ok so I made a temp gasket out of a milk jug and it works! Why doesn't these mounts come with a gasket????. I placed a order for those slick strips you guys mentioned. For a $2,000 dollar mount I would of expected better.

#32 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:59 AM

One major improvement would be to re-tap the adjustment bolts with a larger-diameter but finer-pitch thread.

I think the existing bolts are M5 or M6 x 1mm.. if re-tapped for M8 x 0.5 you'd immediately get twice the resolution.

Also the bolt handle if it had ridges would be better. for example on the Mach1, the bolt handle has lots of ridges on it, so you get precisely 3 arc-min per ridge. the CGEM just has this cheesy round-ish bolt handle, don't know about the DX. i guess ADM handles would do better here but they only have four lobes - not a lot of resolution.

#33 Stargazer78

Stargazer78

Viking 1

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:04 AM

Its just sad that of all things a milk jug fixes this issue!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics