•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best Zeiss Trinocular Microscope - Any ideas?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chrisg

chrisg

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

I'm looking for a good Zeiss Trinocular set up. Any here have any advice about what to get, what to look for? :question:

#2 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ISRAEL

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

Chris,
I recently bought a used Zeiss Axiostar Plus trinocular.
Its a reasonable microscope but nothing to write home about. Many of the parts ( Illuminator, Condenser, Eyepieces are made from Cheap black plastic which will degrade easily ( the microscope is actually made in Mexico !) On top of that, Spare parts will cost you an arm and a leg.
I think you may be better off with a chinese brand like Amscope or Omax.
Another Alternative is try and find a used Older Zeiss trinoc Model which was still manufactured in Germany. These were masde of solid metal (including the eyepieces and condensers) and will last forever ( However, spare parts may be difficult to find).
Another option is get an Olympus trinoc, they are good quality and hasve great optics.

Whatever you do get a microscope with Kohler Illumination.

#3 marcelof

marcelof

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Necochea,Bs As,Argentina

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

For me this:Zeiss Photomic I,II or III
http://www.microscop...1/photomic.html

#4 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Kansas

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:14 PM

For me this:Zeiss Photomic I,II or III
http://www.microscop...1/photomic.html

Wow!  that is just a fabulous microscope. I had no idea of the internal optical complexity for the built-in camera. Thank you!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics