Questar 7 Tripod Mount Options

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

Hi all, I recently acquired a 1990 Questar 7 with fork mount from an auction in L.A. and am looking for some recommendations for mounting it on a tripod. I have looked at several from Hercules and Davis and Sanford on Ebay and was wondering if anyone had experience with these. I like this particular one because the tilt angle adjustment is geared and has a locking lever. Also wondering what the weight limit for these types of mounts are. My setup with OTA and forks is @ 55 lbs.

http://www.ebay.com/...ipod-Model-5...

Here's a shot of the scope/mount and you can check it out here:

http://www.cloudynig...5904979/page...

Attached Files

#2 Bill Boublitz

Bill Boublitz

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

Well, the Astro Pier with Pan Head was made for the Q7. It's a solid as a rock. Quite happy with mine.

Congratulations! That's one sweet instrument.

#3 ColoHank

ColoHank

Vanguard

• Loc: western Colorado

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

I don't think I'd trust the tilt-head mechanism on any photo tripod to handle something as heavy and precious as a Q7. Look for a new or used Meade, Celestron or other astro tripod and adapt it to meet your needs. This Losmandy heavy-duty tripod is very stout, and has a nice wide stance. Though your Q7 dwarfs my Q3.5, I suspect my tripod would support it with ease.

Attached Files

#4 TheQuestar7

TheQuestar7

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

I am getting a AP 130EDFS GT and have a AP Eagle Pier and getting a AP Mach 1 GTO mount for it. Was wondering if anyone has mounted their Questar Seven to it and liked the results.

#5 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

Though no longer in production, we chose a " Monolith " portable pier/tristand. There is one available here in the Classifieds, type in Monolith, then click search; an outstanding piece of equipment, at about half the original price. :bow:

Photo of ours.

Attached Files

#6 ColoHank

ColoHank

Vanguard

• Loc: western Colorado

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

Wow!

#7 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

There can be no other choice! The Q7 has landed!

#8 EddWen

EddWen

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

Wow is right. I use my 3.5 a lot during the day with the full aperture solar filter. That would blind my day vision.

Very nice, though.

#9 Michael Lomb

Michael Lomb

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Island New Zealand

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:42 AM

To increase light gathering by a factor of 4, means a weight increase of a factor of 7.

Out of curiosity I checked if there were any dedicated wooden tripods that could handle a heavy telescope. Wood has the advantage of dampening vibration rather than transmitting this. Vixen seems to have the largest selection, and provides weight specifications. An example is Vixen UNI 18 Astro Wood Tripod. The total weight is 17 lbs with a load capacity of 132 lbs. Cost is $500.  It looks much like a surveyors tripod with metal spikes for the ground. Each leg can be independently adjusted for length to level the base plate.  Their next model up supports 220 lbs, and several heavier models above that. 

If used in equatorial mode, then you need a wedge. If you do not observe outside your home latitude, it does not need to be adjustable and a fixed upscaled wooden arrangement similar to ColoHank's  could work. That leaves just two bolts to work with, one to attach the Q7 fork baseplate to the wedge, and a large central bolt for the base of the wedge to the tripod base plate. Simple friction between the base plates would allow find adjustment of celestial north direction manually. 

#10 Michael Lomb

Michael Lomb

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Island New Zealand

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:42 AM

Researching this out a bit more I have found the Vixen tripods are made by a German company Berlebach. Details can be found here. 

http://www.berlebach...sprache=english

Their products are mentioned on other posts on the Cloudy Nights forum. 

#11 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

There can be no other choice! The Q7 has landed!

Yeah :lol:, that was my "first thought" when setting it up.

#12 Les

Les

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

I use the Astro Physics wood tripod for my Astro 7 Questar. It is made by Baader. I think it is over priced. A heavy duty Berlebach is a good buy.

#13 A6Q6

A6Q6

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stroudsburg,Pa,U.S.A

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

In my opinion there is no substitute for the Davis and sanford folding pier (Tiffen), its around $650 from B&H. That is what Questar used for the 7inch and OTI for the Quantum6. that tripod was around $400. over 30yrs ago . Try to find a used one. I use a celestron for my Q6 I don't extend the legs because of the weight of the Q6. The davis and sanford would be much better. You will still need some kind of wedge.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics