CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Goto Problem with new Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Heino Pull

Heino Pull

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: St Louis, Missouri usa

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

I just purchased the new AZ/EQ-G mount and spent 3 nights trying to evaluate my mount with a Meade LX50 10" ota. Goto performance was really bad after a first few gotos in EQ mode and since I had never owned a goto mount before, thought I needed to managed my expectations.

I leveled and balanced the scope, always north aligned and doing 1-star, 2-star, or 3-star alignments didn't seem to help things. My tracking of an object was fantastic though. I was able to image unguided with a Meade DSI Pro and a 3.3 focal reducer for up to 1 minute and 2 minutes with a small amount of star blur.

Saturday night (third night) I noticed that if I didn't re-position the scope with SynScan controller or release the clutches, Gotos worked one after another.
I then disabled the auxiliary encoder and gotos were fantastic the rest of the night. Repositioning of the scope after goto (with the hand controller) had no bad effect. Of course I didn't try loosening the clutches after disabling the encoder.

It seems that my auxiliary encoder may be faulty and I have a support email in to Orion, but I wonder if others have seen this issue on the AZ/EQ-G?

Otherwise - I love this new mount.

Heino R. Pull
Ellisville, Missouri

#2 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

I believe that the manual mentions that the auxiliary encoders could have a negative affect on pointing if used with automatic skewing. It is best to leave them disabled.

JohnD

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics