jeweler's loupes for botany

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kcolter

kcolter

Ranger 4

• Loc: Missouri, USA

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

Who can tell me what brand and magnification to get for a small jeweler's loupe to carry on backpacking trips for looks at small flowers, bugs, etc? I was recently on a rafting trip with a botanist who used one to great advantage, forgot to note what mag, what manufacturer was used. Thanks for suggestions.

#2 Jay_Bird

Jay_Bird

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

I think that the magnification of something like this is about 250mm / lens focal length in mm. So a 25mm lens gives 10x.

If you have 'expendable' eyepieces you can try in the 12mm to 30mm range for 20x to 8x or so.

A hopeless yard sale binocular yielded my reliable field hand lens, a ~ 20mm eyepiece used reversed with an old film can slid over for grip. Bigger eye lens and eye relief that a "Hastings triplet" that I got for the same purpose in college.

Another option, perhaps the best for up to 10x would be a Papilio close focusing binocular... The 6.5x is more like 8x at close focus and the 8.5x is more like 10x...

Or one of the monocular/pocket loupe/microscope combinations. An old Swift 777 provides 8x30 distant views and ~ 30x up close views.

#3 IDONTSEEIT

IDONTSEEIT

Viking 1

• Loc: NYC

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

I got a set like these(maybe even from the same seller, lol.)> Aluminum eyeloupe set

They work great. I put a brother p-touch label for each magnification, on each corresponding lid, for easy identification. If you just search for "eye loupe set", there are some that are even cheaper, but not all come with the nifty plastic, segmented, storage container. Not all sellers specify, but try to look for "glass optics/lenses" in the description, the ones with plastic lenses are usually of poor quality, unless your getting a name brand like Bausch & Lomb or some other.

#4 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:35 AM

I got a Nikon 10x loupe a few years ago and am happy with it.
Most loupes on Amazon are from a few dollars to $25,
this one cost about $100-I think that I paid $70 for mine.

edj

#5 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

Belomo make a very nice one,DA.

#6 kcolter

kcolter

Ranger 4

• Loc: Missouri, USA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the four excellent suggestions. It had not occurred to me to use an "extra" eyepiece as a loupe. I will have to decide between a Belomo and a Nikon. For the infrequent use it will see I may go with the more economical Belomo. Many thanks to all responders.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics