Recommendations for adding a goto system

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rgm40

rgm40

Messenger

• Loc: Western Kentucky

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

10" f/7.55, custom Dob with flush (half moon) plywood side bearings. Have 5/8 inch pivot bolt on the ground board. Argo Navis? Astro Systems? Any info appreciated. I have not been able to find much information regarding the installation of the encoders. Thanks in advance.

#2 UmaDog

UmaDog

Vanguard

• Loc: Basel, Switzerland

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

You say you want GoTo, but you list the Argo. You realise the Argo has no motors, yes? An Argo on its own provides push-to. If you want tracking and GoTo you will have to add a ServoCat.

Installing the encoders for an Argo isn't hard. The ServoCat is more involved. Contact the manufacturers: they're very responsive.

#3 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:32 AM

JMI sells a good product, as important they provide superb customer service for the life of the system.
I had a question about mine a couple years ago, MiniMax from the early 90's, no problem, no charge, still using it!
But it is push to.

#4 rgm40

rgm40

Messenger

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

Poor choice of terms on my part. Sorry about that. Not looking for tracking. Just considering encoders and computer to locate objects. A "push to" as you describe. Thanks.

#5 ischua

ischua

Under the Radar

• Loc: Below Snow Plop WNY

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

This is what I have been using
http://www.astrodevi...exus/Nexus.html

#6 UmaDog

UmaDog

Vanguard

• Loc: Basel, Switzerland

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

If the Nexus system works well, that would seem appealing. You can get a second hand ipod touch and velcro it to to the UTA. You'll have a push-to and sky chart all in one.

#7 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

Argo Navis is not a "GOTO system". It is a hand computer that works with either GOTO systems like Servocat or push-to/DSC encoder systems.

Do you want a GOTO and track motorized system, or just a little electronic help locating objects? The latter is a lot cheaper to achieve. The former - GOTO for your Dob - will easily exceed the investment in the scope most likely.

AS far as hand controllers go, I am NOT a fan of Argo Navis. Sky Commander is my strong preference, though more recently I've piggy backed a tablet off of the hand computer and used Sky Safari on the tablet to direct push-to efforts on undriven scopes.

- Jim

#8 YetAnotherHobby

YetAnotherHobby

Mariner 2

• Loc: Central CT

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:43 AM

I'm going to throw you a curve ball and suggest you take a look at the sticky thread in this forum called "Degree Circles". For less than $50 I outfitted my 12.5" dob with surprisingly accurate push-to capability. Sounds incredible but it really works. I haven't used a digital system on a dob but when I was investigating them they generally ran more than I had spent on the used telescope.
For the price it might be worth building it just to see if it's all you really need. If it leaves you wanting more you aren't out much astro-dough.

#9 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

Investigate Sky Commander. I like both of mine. Of course, you will need to install encoders.

Ed

#10 ischua

ischua

Under the Radar

• Loc: Below Snow Plop WNY

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

If the Nexus system works well, that would seem appealing. You can get a second hand ipod touch and velcro it to to the UTA. You'll have a push-to and sky chart all in one.

I have been using the Nexus/iPad mini with Sky Safari as a replacement for SkyCommander for a few months now. At the Cherry Springs Star Party I was able to put objects in the fov of a 13mm Nagler. Pick something on the Sky Safari screen and push till it lines up. The other advantage is if you come across something in the eyepiece it was on the screen and easily identified.

#11 rgm40

rgm40

Messenger

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

Modified my pivot bolt and now have the SkyCommander system on the way! Can't wait to get it going. Thanks for all the info guys.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics