• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mudnreo

mudnreo

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Delmar, Delaware USA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

Has anyone here who lives on the Eastern Shore of Maryland done any observing at Public Landing? Google Earth shows it as on the edge of a blue zone. I live about an hour away in Delmar De, (orange zone) and was wondering if it would be worth the drive. I know that the sky would be much better but my main concern is SAFETY.

I was binocular observing at the Mason Dixon monument west of my home a few months ago and all was well until 2 cars pulled in from different directions. I was about 20 feet from them and they knew I was there as they went passed me, I stopped observing and kept an eye on them without being obvious. They were between me and my car, they started to get out of their car twice but didn't then after 10 minutes both cars drove off together. The whole time I was thinking all I had on me for defense was my binoculars and street smarts,( as I grew up in Philly). I've been around the block more than once and it appeared to me that I may have interfered with a drug deal, so now at 60 years old I am concerned with safety.

also has anyone done any observing out at the end of South Point just before Assateaque Island?

#2 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

I've some friends who report that it is very dark on the outer banks further south. I don't know about MD, but I bet it's nice..... except maybe during the summer..... or a hurricane! :p

#3 StarDaddy

StarDaddy

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Shore, Maryland

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

Sorry to say that inspite of the fact that I live on the Eastern Shore (Saint Michaels, to be precise) I have not done any viewing in the Public Landing area.

I got all excited when I saw your post re: Eastern Shore, as I've been hoping to find some fellow space-cadets in the Talbot County area. Haven't found any yet.

Wherever you end up viewing, please stay safe. Try to take a friend (maybe one with a CCW) Times are getting strange, situational awareness is a must. Sounds like you have good instincts, trust your gut!

Clear-skies....

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics