They've Ruined the Harbor Freight Tools Large Case

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#51 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

I'd love to find a drill attachment to cut out pieces of granite much like doorknob hole drilling attachments. I have a 1.5" thick slab of Granite left over from countertop installation (sink cutout) that I would love to use to make matching "handles" for my kitchen cabinets...

#52 taseng

taseng

Sputnik

• Loc: South Dade

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:09 PM

I just ordered foam for my new HF case.
http://www.foambymai...pluck-foam.html
The foam that comes in the HF case is cheap and not thick enough. I'm replacing it with 2 layers of 1-1/2" P&P foam with a 1/2" solid bottom layer.

The foam arrived today and it is not the same quality as Pelican p&p foam. It is about the same as the HF foam it's replacing. Next time I will look for something better.

#53 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

There's a reason why Harbor Freight has also been known as "Horrible Freight," and you just found it.

Taras

#54 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

I just ordered foam for my new HF case.
http://www.foambymai...pluck-foam.html
The foam that comes in the HF case is cheap and not thick enough. I'm replacing it with 2 layers of 1-1/2" P&P foam with a 1/2" solid bottom layer.

The foam arrived today and it is not the same quality as Pelican p&p foam. It is about the same as the HF foam it's replacing. Next time I will look for something better.

Thanks for trying that foam and letting us know how it is. Sorry it wasn't up to snuff.

Mike

#55 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

Here is my new Pelican 1550 case fitted out for deep sky:

Attached Files

#56 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

Another view of my deep sky collection:

Top row: ES 100 9mm, ES 100 14mm, ES 82 30mm, 1.5x Barlow assembly, 2.28x Baader Barlow, Paracorr II

2nd row from top: Alternate visual back, Radian 3, XW 3.5, Radian 4, Delos 4.5, XW 5

3rd row from top: Delos 6, XW 7, LVW 8, XW 10, Sterling 12.5, Sterling 17, Sterling 20

Bottom row: XW 20, Meade 5000 UWA 24, Sterling 25, Titan-II 40, Baader Hyperion Zoom 8-24

Attached Files

#57 Geo31

Geo31

Vanguard

• Loc: Kingwood, TX

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

Reviving this thread...

I removed the metal tabs in the top today. Took about twenty minutes tops.

I pulled up the foam lining the edge of the top and it revealed the metal tab was installed with the hinge rivet. A little bending and twisting and I was able to pull the tab off easy peasy.

Now I was faced with a rivet that was no longer mushroomed over the surface is was inserted through. I took a large Phillips head screw driver and put it on top of the rivet and a couple of whacks with a hammer and the Phillips head split the rivet and then a few whacks with the hammer on the rivet and it was now good as new. Note, you need to support the back of the rivet when hitting it with the hammer. I just placed that portion of the top on my workbench with the bottom hanging off in space. Easy peasy.

Just press or glue the side foam back in place.

Turns out if you put the top egg crate foam under the P&P foam, the P&P foam is flush with the edge of the bottom of the case. Now I'm just going to get some 1.5" egg crate foam and it will be done. All that is left is to cut the P&P foam.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics