•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iOptron MT bearing replacement

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 khobar95

khobar95

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

I am about to replace the bearings in my MT with Timken bearings and have a couple of questions.

1) I was able to disassemble most of the way pretty easily. However I have some parts of the bearings that are "stuck" (the tapered pieces that the roller bearings fit into - forgive me that I don't know what it's called. Sleeve?) I presume these are pressed into the mount housing? How should I remove them for replacement?

2) the bearing at the bottom of the mount - the roller part won't come out. I don't know what's keeping it in but I don't want to brute force it and potentially damage things. I loosened the two set screws on the round plate immediately below but that doesn't appear to have done anything.

Some time ago I *thought* I came upon a page with detailed pictures and descriptions but can't seem to find it now. Would appreciate some help with this. Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind - I understand now.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics