• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 great lesson

great lesson

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

There will be no great plans in the current geopolitical environment. Until Humans come to a consensus and dispose of ideas of "National pride" and who goes where first, I do not see any reason in even worrying about long term space and interplanetary missions. Science is not the realm of a political or economic ideology. While they may make some short term benefits, in reality it is wasteful and a symptom of what is wrong with humanity now. Once people get the dogma that they were born and conditioned with out of their brains only then can humanity make great strides in space exploration. Until then, we will keep wasting money on counterproductive enterprises such as weapons development and warfare against fellow humans, instead of spending resources on things that benefit humanity.

:bow: thank you stating that ..you beat me to it

#102 WaterMaster

WaterMaster

Moat Keeper

• Administrators
  • Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

After 6 pages of discussion I believe we've found the answer to the OP:

Maybe, maybe not, and definitely not tomorrow.

#103 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

Many years ago at a Moody Blues concert one of the band members made a joke about 'so you finally made it', referring 'I think' to some sort of alternative method of transport popular back then?

#104 mistyridge

mistyridge

Gemini

• Loc: Loomis, CA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:59 AM

We are already traveling to other parts of the galaxy as the sun and planets takes its multi million year tour of the galaxy. Only problem, we have not figured out how to change directons or stop when we find some other solar system we want to investigate.

#105 Kon Dealer

Kon Dealer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge UK

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:27 AM

And how these multi-generational ships will be made self sustaining? These spaceships, how their parts, that go bad or break, will be replaced? From where would we get the replacements? I do not think Kragen's or O'reilly Auto Store will be on the way, somewhere.

The Handyman's Secret Weapon: Duct tape. :grin:

3D printers :grin:
http://www.pcpro.co....s-out-there-...

#106 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

And they probably won't think to carry a spare dilithium crystal with them.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics