• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Kodama

Dave Kodama

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: CA, USA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

From 8 June - Comet Panstarrs is circumpolar near the Little Dipper, fading away (mag. 9.9) - 30 minute exposure on E200 (+3 push) 6x9 medium format film:

http://www.astrocame...3/0608a/03a.htm

Dave

#2 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

• Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:56 AM

excellent... :waytogo: :bow:

Attached Files

#3 Michal1

Michal1

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

Finaly someone who shot this commet on film. Well done Dave.

May I ask you, how you produce the colored haloes around the stars? I've seen them many times in your photos and I like them. At my photos, they are captured only around the brightest stars like Deneb or Altair, or when the stars get foggy by clouds.

I hope you still have a lot of E200 films in your stock.

#4 Dave Kodama

Dave Kodama

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: CA, USA

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

Michal,

I do generally like to shoot comets on film but sometimes it's less convenient because it's too low for my observatory setup or the time before setting is short. It also usually requires bracketing exposure due to the tricky lighting near sunset or sunrise. However, I still really like the look of comets especially on E200, which I do have a good stock.

By the way, I have my comet shots collected here on my web site. It doesn't have my oldest shots (Hale-Bopp) or newest (Panstarrs), but everything in between.

http://www.astrocame...ndex-comets.htm

The haloes are due to slight scattering in the air here and also for long exposures, perhaps some scattering in the film itself. I don't do anything to produce the haloes in postprocessing. If I do anything, it is to reduce them!

Dave

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics