#1 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

For a mere $7450 on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/...ay-Photograp...

Another listing for $8700:

http://www.manhattan...-barnard/a-p...

I've seen listings of copies in better shape go for a bit more. Just wanted to share these listings because they have a lot of pictures of Barnard's atlas, of which only 700 were printed. I'm personally content to "make do" with my copy of the excellent version Cambridge released a couple of years ago. That is a classic in its own right.

#2 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

or

Amazon has the Cambridge remake for $110.54 new and from $59 used

edj

#3 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

or

edj

Well, I went for the Cambridge version myself. Beautifully done and one of my favorite astronomy books. I figured that the money saved can go towards my next big scope. :grin:

But if money were no object, I would probably consider getting an original, which is truly a piece of history. Only 700 were ever printed and think I read somewhere that the tipped plates were all handpicked by Barnard himself.

#4 opticsguy

opticsguy

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Washington State

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

What is the title of the Cambridge Version?

#5 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

Same title redone rather well, I have a copy and used it when I accomplished the AL Dark Nebula program. Check it out here.

#6 opticsguy

opticsguy

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Washington State

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

edwin, what are your 20/26/37x100 binocs??

#7 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

or

edj

Thanks I went for the $59 used total $63 including shipping.
After I am done they end up looking used anyway. I believe they only list 4 new available.

#8 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

If you are interested, you may want to read E.E. Barnard's biography, The Immortal Fire Within: The Life and Work of Edward Emerson Barnard. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press Sheehan, William (1995). It is an inspiration read!

#9 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:28 PM

If you are interested, you may want to read E.E. Barnard's biography, The Immortal Fire Within: The Life and Work of Edward Emerson Barnard. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press Sheehan, William (1995). It is an inspiration read!

I'm not sure why people keep saying that. The book is certainly a good read; but I didn't find Barnard inspirational. He was obsessive and worked himself to death. Nothing there I'd want to emulate.

He did do nice work, though.

#10 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

The inspiration is from the fact that he became who he is from abject poverty and an amateur at that. I agree he was a workaholic but sense he had to be because of his lack of formal education which the director at Lick held against him.

#11 davidpitre

davidpitre

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:22 PM

I'm not sure why people keep saying that. The book is certainly a good read; but I didn't find Barnard inspirational. He was obsessive and worked himself to death. Nothing there I'd want to emulate.

I found Barnard very inspiring in many ways. Few have accomplished great things without a lot of work, persistence, and single-mindedness.

#12 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

I found Barnard very inspiring in many ways. Few have accomplished great things without a lot of work, persistence, and single-mindedness.

Barnard's life story is a sad one in many ways, but his pioneering work both in astrophotography and observational astronomy is surely inspiring. While I don't find myself wanting to make the same sacrifices he did, I really do find myself inspired to try a little harder when I'm out observing, especially when trying to find one of his elusive dark nebulae. Sometimes I can almost hear him exhorting to keep looking when I'm having trouble making out the Horsehead. :)

#13 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

he made a difference
I am better off that he was here before
he made astronomy more interesting
he made one heck of a book
that is more than most of us do

edj

#14 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

he made a difference

Well, I can't argue with any of that.

But Edj, I'm curious: I've noticed that your posts often have the appearance of verse (as above). Is that intentional, or are you writing from a small portable device, or what? Just wondering.

#15 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

"appearance of verse"

no-just think the shorter lines are easier to read,
maybe a little more emphasis

instead of

no-just think the shorter lines are easier to read, maybe a little more emphasis

edj

#16 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

or

edj

After I am done they end up looking used anyway. I believe they only list 4 new available.

Recieve my used copy today (actually new with a crease/additional fold in last page fold out map). This is one major piece or work. GladI ordered it.

Are these all the B objects, or are there others that he found afterwards or just didn't make it in the two volujmes (now one book).

#17 bjmoose

bjmoose

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:43 AM

Hey Folks,

I'm considering this book as well. Here's a great on-line site of the book I came across while resarching - please check it out - I spent way too much time perusing it last nite...

http://www.library.g...nard/index.html

Cheers

#18 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:20 AM

Nice link! Thanks Ian.

#19 GDN

GDN

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Michigan

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

or

edj

Recieve my used copy today (actually new with a crease/additional fold in last page fold out map). This is one major piece or work. GladI ordered it.

Are these all the B objects, or are there others that he found afterwards or just didn't make it in the two volujmes (now one book).

This Atlas does not contain all of Barnard's Dark Nebulae, only those that appear in the 50 plates. There are 31 objects not included, although I did provide the current co-ordinates for all the objects- now totaling 352. As explained in the Addendum, there are many objects that E. E. Barnard outlined, but never catalogued. Perhaps he was going to 'fill-in' his listing with these objects, those that would be numbered 176 through 200.

Hope you enjoy the republished version.

Cheers,

Jerry

G.O.Dobek, FRAS

#20 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

Hell, Jerry, how could you not enjoy this masterpiece??
I suspect that anyone who is interested enough to seek out a copy, is going to be delighted with the wonderful work you (and EEB) have produced.

#21 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hey Folks,

I'm considering this book as well. Here's a great on-line site of the book I came across while resarching - please check it out - I spent way too much time perusing it last nite...

http://www.library.g...nard/index.html

Cheers

"spend way too much time"

I downloaded the complete book from this in the past with a dial up connection,
took 40 hours
I am thankful for the new book

edj

#22 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

he made a difference

Well, I can't argue with any of that.

But Edj, I'm curious: I've noticed that your posts often have the appearance of verse (as above). Is that intentional, or are you writing from a small portable device, or what? Just wondering.

I saw a little E.E. Cummings myself there. :)

#23 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

Recieve my used copy today (actually new with a crease/additional fold in last page fold out map). This is one major piece or work. Glad I ordered it.

This Atlas does not contain all of Barnard's Dark Nebulae, only those that appear in the 50 plates. There are 31 objects not included, although I did provide the current co-ordinates for all the objects- now totaling 352. As explained in the Addendum, there are many objects that E. E. Barnard outlined, but never catalogued. Perhaps he was going to 'fill-in' his listing with these objects, those that would be numbered 176 through 200.

Hope you enjoy the republished version.

Cheers,

Jerry

G.O.Dobek, FRAS

Thanks for your feedback. I did notice the gap before 200 and figured he arbitrarily started at 200 for his second volume. t makes more sense now.

#24 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:19 PM

Jerry, et al;

I got the money together and finally ordered my copy yesterday. I am looking forward to using it to create my images of the Barnard catalog. All it takes is time and money;-)

Clear skies;
Steve Coe

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics