Atlas/EQ6 Pier collision! Am I ok?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:41 AM

Alarm did not go off, near as I can tell the OTA collided with the pier around 6:00am and continued to do so until 9:00am when I woke up in a panic.
The motors were pushing against an unmovable object for 3 hours.... :bawling: My heart sank when I saw it. Batteries are dead so I can't try it out yet, will I be ok?

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

You are likely fine. Stepper motors are pretty good about not burning out in conditions like these, and the clutches, even if tightened down firmly will usually prevent gear damage.

#3 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

Whew... Thanks Unk! That makes me feel much bettter. Pretty impressed with the strength of the motors, it bent the metal bracket that holds my diy electric focuser. That mount is a brute!

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

The only test, of course, is to fire it up and see what happens, of course. I am rooting for you. :cool:

#5 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

It's fairly difficult to do damage to the stepper mount gears so it's unlikely anything is a problem there. You will have to power up the mount to know whether and damage was done to the electronics or motors but even they are fairly tough.

#6 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

Whoohoo!
Initial test indicates all is well, no weird sounds coming from the motors at least. Sure was scary though!

#7 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

With my mount I don't tighten up the clutches too firm on purpose so that if something like this happens, I hope, It will help preventing damage. Do you guys ever do that?

#8 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

With my mount I don't tighten up the clutches too firm on purpose so that if something like this happens, I hope, It will help preventing damage. Do you guys ever do that?

Most people actually overtighten the clutches on their mounts, particularly if they are unable to balance the mount well. In mounts like this that use ring gears, overtightening the clutch can actually deform the ring gear enough to cause error. The ideal tightness for clutches is enough to keep the axis from moving with a light tap but not so much that it will not move with a harder push (or a tripod collision).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics