• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 FoggyEyes

FoggyEyes

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

I have the basic versions of both (on a Mac) and think Starry Night has the edge. Due to some discounts I can upgrade to Starry Night Enthusiast for close to the price of SkySafari Plus. I don't have a computerized scope so that is not a consideration. Wondering if there are any compelling reasons to go with one or the other. I could also stick with Stellarium, which is pretty good.

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:00 PM

Starry night is OK, but I believe SkySafari is a click better crafted. A little more stable. A little faster. Now that SN has been sold to a new bunch (some time back), I am a bit concerned about continued development of it. Hope I am wrong...but...

Now if them dadgum goobers at Southern Stars would just port SkySafari to Winders... :lol:

#3 RandallK

RandallK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

I agree Rod, it seems the staff at Simulation Curriculum, the new owners of Starry Night, are resting on their laurels since their take-over. There are a few bugs which I have e-mailed about (and got replies back), but no corrections, ie, software updates as yet. That has been over a year now. Still, the program is one of my main applications in my hobby.

#4 Roger Corbett

Roger Corbett

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

It's not either-or! Get both! The cost of these programs isn't all that much, especially not when compared to the cost of high-end eyepieces. You'll always find things that one can do that the other can't.

As to differences in features, Starry Night's eyepiece/telescope views, where you can see just what matches your eyepiece fov is a big plus. OTOH, the interface, a long, non-customizable menu, for selecting them leaves much to be desired.

A big factor In deciding is what matters most to you in terms of observing--and which features you really like--something hard to tell without using both.

If forced to choose, I'd go with Sky Safari--it's full-featured, being upgraded repeatedly, and one of its key develops participates here! But, really, get both and solve the quandary that way!

#5 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

Until there's a new SN version, go for SkySafari :idea:

#6 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:04 AM

Yea, SN hasn't been really updated in years. SS is updated monthly it seems like.

#7 FoggyEyes

FoggyEyes

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

I'm leaning toward SkySafari. Wish I didn't have to buy one for the Mac and another for the iDevices. Think I'll spend the money on the Mac, although the iPad is easier to take outside. Sigh!

#8 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

If you are looking for the best observing tool then I think you cannot go wrong with Sky Safari Pro (or Plus), which I use on my iPad. I can't even think of single feature I would add to it at the point. But if you are looking for something with lots of astronomy information and eye candy that is not necessarily aimed directly at observing then Starry Nights does contain a lot of that kind of content.

You might also try Cartes du Ciel if it is available for a Mac, because it is free and as an observing tool on the PC I personally like it a lot better than The Sky or Starry Nights.

#9 HeyJP

HeyJP

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boulder, CO

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:24 PM

I used StarryNights for years on the Mac. Then got SkySafari for iPad and iPhone. Woohoo! Great tool. Added SkySafari to Mac which I occasionally use, but iPad is the format of choice. Keep it next to the scope and wirelessly run goto's with SkyFi.

Jim in Boulder
Jim

#10 Vic Menard

Vic Menard

Aurora

• Loc: Bradenton, FL

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

+1 for SkySafari Pro

Even if you decide to buy it for both platforms (MacOS and iOS)--it's still a bargain!

(FTR--I also own and use SNP+, mostly for group presos.)

#11 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:06 PM

I am of the opinion that cell phone or tablet based astronomy is not for me. I prefer the full blown Windows apps that I run on my graphics workstation notebook PC and my desktop graphics workstation PC. PhotoShop screams on them, and so does TheSkyX, which is the astronomy app that many professional telescope operators use. Besides, the small cell phone screens are too difficult for my 56 year old eyes.

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:06 AM

I am of the opinion that cell phone or tablet based astronomy is not for me. I prefer the full blown Windows apps that I run on my graphics workstation notebook PC and my desktop graphics workstation PC. PhotoShop screams on them, and so does TheSkyX, which is the astronomy app that many professional telescope operators use. Besides, the small cell phone screens are too difficult for my 56 year old eyes.

Small cell phone screens are tough for me, I am 65 and my eyes are not what they once were. But increasing the magnification by switching from 2.00 reading glasses to 3.25's is just common sense an astronomer, it's a big help.

But better yet is a 7 inch Tablet running Sky Safari Pro. Big enough to see, small enough to fit in my pocket so I whether I am standing, sitting or up a ladder, I have it with me, ready to go. Out in the field, it does the job and has stuff that SkyX doesn't. Holding that laptop up against the sky like a paper chart.. not so fun..

Jon

#13 skysurfer

skysurfer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NL, N 52 E 6

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

For me the same. I used to have Starrynight in 2003 but then I switched to the free and better Stellarium which I still run on my Mac. I have Skysafari Basic on my Mac as well but doesn't offer much compared to Stellarium.

But on my Android phoblet (Note 2) I have Skysafari Pro and use it as a pocket sky atlas during observing. Great tool !
And back to 2011 when I had an iPad for a while I used the iOS version as well.

#14 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

• Loc: Desierto de Sonora

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

For me, Sky Safari Pro on an iPad cannot be beaten for both atlas use and telescope control. It's simply an amazing tool, and my 55 year old eyes have no issues with a 9.7" screen. That's what glasses are for. ;) I may even grab an iPad Mini for use at the scope once they give it a Retina display.

#15 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:00 AM

For me the same. I used to have Starrynight in 2003 but then I switched to the free and better Stellarium which I still run on my Mac. I have Skysafari Basic on my Mac as well but doesn't offer much compared to Stellarium.

But on my Android phoblet (Note 2) I have Skysafari Pro and use it as a pocket sky atlas during observing. Great tool !
And back to 2011 when I had an iPad for a while I used the iOS version as well.

The Basic Sky Safari is basic and I am sure Stellarium has deeper databases. But upgrade to either the Plus and the Pro and Sky Safari has more capabilities.. at least that's my experience.

Jon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics