Photo

Good news: I received my Celestron Nextar SE 6!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Astrohat

Astrohat

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

Good news: I received my Celestron Nextar SE 6!

Bad news: Did not see anything!!!! :confused:

I pointed the Moon, and used a 25mm lense. I saw a "light". I adjusted the focuser knob for several minutes, and was never able to get a clear picture of the Moon. Actually, there was no way of knowing it was the Moon. Is it the telescope, or is it me? I guess it's me. The sky was beautiful all night, until 5 minutes within my observation session. The clouds took over the sky in a record time. And there was also a record number of bugs in the air. A lot of cars and people distracting me constantly. It seemed that everything was conspiring to make my life miserable. :help:

#2 tknice

tknice

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

Try getting your focus straight during the day. I turned my focus knob (I think) clockwise maybe 40 times until it finally focused. After that, i realized it wasn't collimated properly which involves defocusing on a star at night and turning the screws in the middle of the collection place on the front of the scope. Now its razor sharp.

#3 Astrohat

Astrohat

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

Thanks, tknice. I wish they said that in the user guide and on Youtube videos where they show you how to set up the telescope.

#4 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:57 PM

The moon is so bright you can see light in the vicinity even if you are not on target. Moving bright objects out of focus makes them easier to locate, then you just need to adjust focus once you have located them.

#5 AstroTatDad

AstroTatDad

Apollo

• Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:06 AM

congrats on the scope, you will get it down. Make sure your diagonal is all the way in to the OTA and EP is all the way in as well. The focus knob can turn for days, set it up in the day/evening and trying focusing it on something, not to close. Then at night put it on a bright star and focus to get focus, then go to the moon. :)

How did you do your aligning? or did you just turn it on and slew around?

#6 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

Go check out Saturn now, prime viewing now!

#7 Astrohat

Astrohat

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

I will try Saturn tonight. There is supposed to be a live HD online telescope watch of Saturn this week. I can't remember the website.

#8 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

There are broadcasts of solar system and deep space objects just about every night (and often during the day) on NSN (nightskiesnetwork.com)

#9 Astrohat

Astrohat

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

Thanks, Mark.

#10 Astrohat

Astrohat

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

Now I see the Moon and a lot of details! A cery crisp image. I also saw Saturn with 2 of its moons located on the North-West of Saturn. I wish I had obtained s bigger image, but all I have is a 25mm eyepiece. But it is a great avant-goût of what to come. Like yesterday, I was able to use the telescope for 5 minutes because the clouds took over the sky. Yet, there was few clouds all day.

There was nothing wrong with the mirror alignment, after all. As suggested by someone in this thread, I first practiced on targets in the daylight. I turned the focuser long enough until I saw a clear image of an object.

I have not had the opportunity to set up the computer and the finder, so it was tough turning around the tripod and adjusting the scope until I saw the object I wanted to view.

Thanks to everyone!!

#11 AstroTatDad

AstroTatDad

Apollo

• Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:25 AM

Great good to hear. :) Next time align it, use Auto Two Star for the aligning. Also to help aligning picking stars a sky chart, or a sky chart app for your phone, ipad, tablet well help out. That way you will know the names and where they are. After aligning it, it's all game. :)

#12 Astrohat

Astrohat

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

I did not have time to learn about the scope computer. However, I was able to properly adjust the scope finder. I used the Moon for basic calibration, then Saturn for precise calibration. I also received my dew protection. I now have to slow down expenses, and save money for equipment. My next purchase will be second-hand eyepiece.

#13 observing1

observing1

Messenger

• -----

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

Get the expanse 6mm eyepiece so you can see Saturn up close.

#14 Astrohat

Astrohat

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

Oh boy... I bought a backpack to carry my telescope accessories. I have just tested it. What I did not know is that there was a zipper open on the bottom... The scope's computer with the hand-held pad collapsed to the hard-wood floor that the owner paid $9,000 for. :rainbow: It made a dent in it. I hope he did not hear that. Then the power pack followed suit. Fortunately, it fell on my bed. When handling expensive or/and heavy equipment, you have to think about every little detail that could go wrong.

In any case, I added the tripod to the computer and the power pack. Way too heavy. The best way working for me is: I put the tripod and the chair on the back of the bike, which worked already, the computer and power pack in the backpack, and a little bag that I carry on my shoulder that contains the telescope and eyepieces.

#15 Astrohat

Astrohat

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

Get the expanse 6mm eyepiece so you can see Saturn up close.

So tempting! I will be looking for second-hand for that.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics