• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RobDob

RobDob

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Brentwood (East Bay Area), CA

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:01 AM

I was intrigued this evening by Plato's crater rim peak shadows cast onto the crater floor. The sunlight appeared as a dual ray separated by a central peak shadow.

I grabbed this sequence from about 8:00pm to 10:00pm PDT. The peak shadows are very slowly fading.

Skies were clear, but seeing was very boily due to wind. Had to trigger these afocal shots in very rare instances of psuedo clarity.

Rob

Attached Files

#2 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Lewiston, Maine

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

Rob, good catch on the shadows. Clouded out here last night,I think that would have been a nice challenge. What was the set up for the photo.
Be Well
Grey

#3 ElkoAstro

ElkoAstro

Explorer 1

• Loc: Spring Creek, Nevada

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

Rob, I captured the same area last night 0400 UTC 21:00 PDT from Spring Creek Nevada. Glad to see your images of the moon.
Gerry Pennington

Attached Files

#4 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

• Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

Great images guys,those shadows look weird almost like a mountain range... :question:

#5 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Lewiston, Maine

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

Gerry,that is very fine shot.You have captured some interesting detail the shadows running across the door of Plato are very clear.Thanks for sharing it with us.
Be Well
Grey

#6 RobDob

RobDob

Messenger

• -----

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:40 PM

Rob, good catch on the shadows. Clouded out here last night,I think that would have been a nice challenge. What was the set up for the photo.
Be Well
Grey

Thanks Grey!

I used a cheap Nikon Coolpix S6300 16MPixel Point 'n' Shoot camera from Costco afocally against a 6mm Zhummell Z-planetary eyepiece through my Z12. Turns out that the extended camera lens barrel fits perfectly within the eyepiece's eyecup and sort of 'self centers'. It's just a matter of fine movements and tweaking the zoom to eliminate kidney beaning and getting the desired magnification.

This camera also works well with my 28mm RKE eyepiece for lower power moon vistas.

Rob

#7 RobDob

RobDob

Messenger

• -----

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:46 PM

Rob, I captured the same area last night 0400 UTC 21:00 PDT from Spring Creek Nevada. Glad to see your images of the moon.
Gerry Pennington

That's a nice shot Gerry! Very crisp shadow peaks. Thanks for posting. I imagine Plato as a porthole and looking through it and seeing these tall mountain peak silhouettes.

Rob

#8 Perigny270

Perigny270

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Temiscaming, Quebec

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

Love those Plato pictures!
I watch for the timing each cycle, but the clouds have beat me every time so far. Thanks for posting them.

#9 Sasa

Sasa

Viking 1

• Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

Hello Rob,

nice pictures. This was exactly the phase when I had my first light with Zeiss AS80/1200 telescope. It was really magical night, I was watching the changes of the shadows in Plato for about 3 hours. I could not separate my eye from the eyepiece.

Cheers,

Alexander

#10 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast, Florida

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

Rob said:

I was intrigued this evening by Plato's crater rim peak shadows cast onto the crater floor. The sunlight appeared as a dual ray separated by a central peak shadow.

Hi Rob,

I spent last year chasing a phenomenon with Plato's shadows known as Plato's Hook. I wanted to see with my eyes if this was real or not. But either weather or life (stroke in Sept 2012) prevented me from seeing this phenomenon. My goal is to observe it over a year as many times as possible and sketch what I see. Here is a link with some information about Plato's Hook.

The BAA (British Astronomical Association) Lunar Section Circular Vol. 49 No. 4 A... has an excellent article about the Hook by Phil Morgan titled The Plato 'hook'. Here is another article available from Harvard.edu titled Plato's Hook: Still an Open Problem.

I haven't tried to find the "hook" this year but as soon as I can I will resume my hunt!

and enjoy the hunt...

peace & clear skies,

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics