Photo

Second Pair of Binoviewers on the way!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

I have been so amazed at my results using binoviewers for white light solar observing!

I can't believe how much solar detail I have missed over the years. The sun is soooo incredible. It changes every day, and the amazing amount of variety in the sunspots, pores, and facula has never been so apparent.

In fact, just about every day now, I have been taking maybe 30 minutes out of my day just to go out and look at the sun. I am just thrilled at how much I am seeing.

In fact, I am enjoying it so much that I bought a pair of used Burgess binoviewers that I can leave on my C5 all the time. This is the scope that I am using for my solar work, and I leave it outside 24/7 under a covered patio so that I can simply lift the scope/mount and carry it out into the sunlight, sit it down, drag over my observing chair, locate the sun, flip on the motor drive, and away I go.

I figured that I could get a pair on inexpensive binoviewers that I can just leave on the scope all the time and that would help me avoid leaving my Mark Vs out in the weather!

These used binoviewers turn up all the time at very reasonable prices, so I am eager to try this out. Even if it cuts off the field of my inexpensive 32mm Plossls, I am not worried about that at all. I doubt it will matter for the intended purpose.

Hoping that they arrive today, so will give a quick report hopefully later this afternoon!

#2 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:43 PM

Well, we are waiting for a report!!

#3 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:47 AM

Looking forward to your report. The Mark V are very high quality it will be tough for anything to measure up to their eye to eye consistency.

#4 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

I think a second pair is a great idea, in my case I went with a Maxbright to complement my Mark V's (one advantage is sharing GPC's and compatability with Baader T2 quick connects, etc).

I use the 2nd pair pretty much exclusively for solar so I'm with you on this one.

#5 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

I loved my Maxbright, but I found a used Burgess for $120.

I had been keeping my eyes open for something like the Burgess, Celestron, or other entry level units because they come up now and then at about this price.

Some say that they are the same as the Maxbrights, but Baader says that the prism support castings on the Maxbright were designed specifically for them, so I don't know if the BO and others are really identical, but my guess is that optically they are pretty close.

I did want to share T2 Prism too, but I guess for a 24/7 outdoor bino, these will do well enough. At $120, I don't have to feel guilty about them being left outside on a covered Patio stuck on the back of the C5 (which of course stays on the covered patio all the time too).

I thought I would have it already, but now appears that it won't arrive until the 22nd.

#6 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

My first BVs were Burgess and I thought they were quite good - just as you suggest.

#7 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

I have been so amazed at my results using binoviewers for white light solar observing!

I can't believe how much solar detail I have missed over the years. The sun is soooo incredible. ......

Bino-viewer is the *only way to go* with white-light solar, and larger h-alpha scopes. With something small, like a PST or Lunt 35, I prefer an actual binocular using one of Howie Glatter's gizmo's to hold two scopes to form a binocular.

Over the last two nights, for various reasons, I needed to set up my Obsession 20 despite the nearly full moon. After observing Luna and Saturn with bino-viewer, I decided to hunt down about a dozen double stars in Cygnus and found that the bino-viewer is the way to go with doubles too. Despite the only fair seeing I was able to split 2 arc second doubles with no problem and the observing was much more comfortable using two eyes.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics