Photo

Vintage binocular straps - source?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

Was wondering if anyone here knows of a source for binocular neck straps the same as, or similar to, those found on older glasses, such as Bushnells. The strap for one of my older pairs has gone missing, and the straps on several others are getting fairly hard and inflexible due to age; these are the thin, narrow (1/4") black plastic straps that use a small dumbbell-type fastener to secure them.

Thanks for any and all replies!

Fred

#2 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

I'd like to find some for my cases where the old Orangish/Tan ones have dry rotted.

#3 Gordon Rayner

Gordon Rayner

Vanguard

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:44 PM

Deja vu.

Go to a climbing store or camping store, and get some of the nylon woven tape, it either the flat form, or the tubular form.

Use the tape knot/water knot to join the ends. There is/was a video via Google "water knot" which shows the assembly of the knot.

I use a single loop around the hinge, or through both strap attachment lugs. This way, only one tape knot is needed. The ends of the tape can be sealed, to prevent fraying, with a match or a cigarette(yuk!) lighter.

#4 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

Post deleted by hallelujah

#5 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

Thanks, folks, but I'm looking for the cheap black vinyl/plastic straps that were originally supplied with the binoculars.

I contacted Bushnell recently to see if they sold these as spare parts (some of their lower-end glasses still use them), and they were spectacularly unhelpful.

#6 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

Try Surplus Shed, send an e-mail with your needs as not all their stuff is on the website,DA.

#7 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

Much appreciated, Dave - will give them a try! :cool:

#8 Gordon Rayner

Gordon Rayner

Vanguard

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:43 PM

I had leather shops in Mexico cut strips to form straps, which were then holed with a handheld hole punch and slit . If one places holes at the end of the slit (make the holes first), then the ends of the slit are much less likely to tear in use.

There is a name for those barbell shaped buttons. What is it? Strap buttons? I used salvaged WW II Navy brass ones from rotted straps, or some nylon buttons from one of the modern bino importers. Which one =?.

The suggested nylon tape or nylon cloth tube distributes the weight over a larger area of your neck, at a lower weight than a leather strap of the same width, and is smoother than leather. It is easier to fold for storage inside a case, with the binocular, than an equivalent leather strap, and could be washed ( if one can untie the tape knot).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics