Photo

Witnessing Lunar Impacts, is this for real?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

• Loc: Dickinson, TX

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

Last night, needing a break, I took out my telescope and for the first time in a great many years, looked at the Moon.

Having been in a deep-sky kick, I've been somewhat lunar-adverse for the best part of a decade. I forgot how much detail one can see on the Moon. I "discovered" a lovely row of craters just west of Ptolemaeus called Muller F (and friends). It seems that I was seeing detail at least down to 4 miles across. (Also helped that the seeing was excellent as well.) This area transfixed me for the better part of an hour.

In any case, I decided to visit the web site of ALPO for the first time since the late 1990s. Site sure looks better than it did then. :D But what totally surprised me is that there seems to be a campaign to observe lunar impacts. Not only that, these seem to be recorded with some degree of frequency.

Wow, it was not all that long ago that anyone suggesting that they had witnessed any form of transient phenomena on the Moon would be laughed at. Amazing what technology can do, I suppose.

I'm having difficulty answering this question: To what degree can amateurs contribute to this effort?

#2 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

Ah! Found the Marshall Space Flight Center's FAQ on how to record potential lunar impacts: http://www.nasa.gov/...51main_FAQ2.pdf

#3 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast, Florida

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

Michael asked:

I'm having difficulty answering this question: To what degree can amateurs contribute to this effort?

Hi Michael,

There is a book in the "and How to Observe Them" series (Astronomers’ Observing Guides) by Springer named "Lunar Meteoroid Impacts and How to Observe Them" by Brian Cudnik. I have flipped through it but not read it yet. It's on my to read list. It looks very interesting to me.

peace & clear skies,

#4 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

Thanks Carl!

Oh and I kept repeating the author's name over and over in my head. "Brian Cudnik....Brian Cudnik....why do I know that name....?

As it turns out, he's a member of the astronomy club to which I belong! I had no idea he was into this sort of thing. :D

#5 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast, Florida

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

Michael

That's cool! Maybe an autographed copy is on your Christmas list?? ;-)

peace & clear skies,

#6 DHurst

DHurst

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:23 AM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IYloGuUZCFM

#7 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

Yes, this link is worthy of a view as are virtually all of the NASA links.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics